Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Huddersfield Artillery Book

Tony Lund

Has anyone heard of this book?

"Record of service of 168th Brigade, R.F.A. 1915 - 1919."

By Capt. Harold Fisher MC RFA

Published by Preston Bros & Co. Huddersfield. 1938.

It is mentioned on the University of Birmingham website, Centre for First World War Studies, Bibliography of the Great War. Huddersfield Library does not have it, and it does not seem to be mentioned anywhere else.

The 168th Brigade, Royal Field Artillery, was raised in Huddersfield in April/May 1915. They were sent to France just after Christmas 1915. The Brigade had four Batteries that were initially trained in their home areas: Huddersfield - Holme Valley - Colne Valley - and Calder Valley.

I most interested in getting a look at this book if it is at all possible to do so.

Thank you,

Tony.

Tony

If you get anywhere with this - I would be interested to see it as well - my wife's grandfather was a Driver in the 168th Brigade (details in my signature) - I have photographed the war diaries if that's of any help (Dec 1915 to Oct 1919).

Regards

Brian

Hi there gentlemen, have you tried the Brotherton Library at Leeds University as that was the only place that I could get the History of 7th(Pioneers) York and Lancaster Regiment 1914-1918. if it is there then Huddersfield or any other library should be able to get it for you under library lend.

Cheers Roger.

I have the book (pamphlet) and was actually the one who listed it on the U Birmingham site. It has paper wraps and is only 12 pages. It gives a rather detailed, but brief statement of the locations at which the brigade was located during the war, but mentions very few officers or men by name. Did you have a particular question? Regards, Dick Flory

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the suggestions, and thanks to Dick for actually having a copy available.

It turns out to be a short booklet that records an address given to the Old Comrades Association at their annual dinner by Captain Harold Fisher MC., in 1938.

It is now online here 168th Brigade, (Huddersfield) R.F.A.

It is brief, but it is still a very useful piece of local history.

Thanks Dick.

Tony.

• 3 years later...
Guest Stuart Haigh

Hi Guys,

I know it is some time since the original post, but is this book/pamphlet still available.

My grandfather was a bombardier in 'B' battery of The168th Brigade, Royal Field Artillery and I would be interested in looking at or getting a copy of the book, or the War Diaries.

The online link by Tony Lund is no longer working.

Thank you

Stuart

Stuart: PM me your email address and I will email you scans of the pages of the pamphlet. Dick Flory

Guest Stuart Haigh

Thanks for your quick reply Dick. I have sent you my email address by PM. Hope it has reached you as I am new to this web site. Looking forward to reading the pamphlet. Thanks, Stuart Haigh

• 5 years later...