Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rifleman Raymond F. Smith

Meryl

Could someone please help me with other information that I can obtain on my Dad's brother. I have the CWG Memorial, stating he was in the 18th Bn.,King's Royal Rifle Corps. I live in the States, but will be home for a visit next month and would like to know if I could obtain any information if I visit the PRO. He is buried at Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery, Poperinge, Belgium. #R/37388. On another web site, it stated that the 18th was an "Arts and Crafts", what did this mean? I am also in possession of a picture which shows a WWI military person, in uniform but I have not got an earthly idea who it is. He is wearing a cap with a badge on the front but it is not very clear. Is there some place I can get this confirmed as to which unit he might have been in? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Meryl in the States

Meryl - I presume the 'Art & Crafts' means that the vast number of recruits came from an 'arty' background. I could be totally wrong here and I hope that a KRRC expert will put us both straight!

I ran a check on the SDGW CD and found the following (I don't know if you already know this):

Raymond Frederick Smith.

Born: Limehouse, Middlesex.

Enlisted: Stepney, Middlesex.

By visiting the PRO you should get, at the very least, his medal entitlement.

Thank you Lee. I do have info on Raymond, but thought it would be nice if I could get more on his military history. I know the King's Royal Rifle Corps was formed in Essex, so do you think I should try to contact the Essex Military Museum and if so, would they have personal information on Riflemen?

Meryl

There is no connection between the King's Royal Rifle Corps and Essex; except that this particular battalion was formed there. It was called the 'Arts and Crafts' battalion because many of the original members belonged or attended art schools in and around London. By his regimental number, your relative was not an original member, so this doesn't apply to him; he would have joined in a draft sometime in 1918, and would have done training with another KRRC battalion in the UK.

The KRRC are now part of the Green Jackets, and their museum is in Winchetster.

Some web links for it are:

http://www.hants.gov.uk/leisure/museums/roygreen/

http://www.rgjassociation.org.uk/

The last one is the Green Jackets Association.

On 14th October 1918 the 41st Division (of which 18/KRRC) were a part, attacked a line of bunkers and trenches near the village of Gheluwe (not to be confused with Gheluvelt) on the Menin Road at Ypres. Your Great Uncle would have been hit there, and died at 10th Casualty Clearing Station at Remi Sidings, near Poperinghe - the cemetery now being Lijessenthoek.

Hope this helps.

Meryl,

I shall be driving past Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery in a couple of weeks time and can easily pop in and take a digital photograph of his headstone and e-mail this to you if you wish?

Regards

Marc

Hi Meryl,

In art history terms, the Arts and Crafts Movement was an extension of the Victorian Gothic Revival. In essence, members sought to imbue traditional skills and craftsmanship with artistic integrity. The designer William Morris is perhaps its best-known exponent. This is probably the derivation of this KRRC unit's associations

Regarding 18th KRRC, some years ago the Milton Keynes Living Archive Project produced a book of letters from Rifleman Albert French to his sister in Young Street Wolverton (North Buckinghashire, now part of the MK conurbation - my grandfather lived a couple of streets away). Albert was just 16 when he fell in action, and his sister lovingly kept his letters until her own death. The collection was entitled 'Your Loving Brother Albert', and is seemingly now out of print (though I thought I had a spare copy somewhere). The book subsequently became a BBC Radio 4 programme. Anyhow, the good news is that the MK Archive have transferred the contents of the original book onto the web. Enjoy...

http://www.mkheritage.co.uk/la/

Thanks for that link Kate; I didn't know the letters were on-line now. I keep saying its about time the letters were reprinted, but this is much better way to make them available.

Albert French died in June 1916, a little before Rfn Smith served, but this will give Meryl a good idea of what life was like in this battalion earlier in the war.

Marc

I would be absolutely thrilled if you could take a photo of his headstone. The reference is XXX G.1 - Raymond Frederick Smith. This has been just an unbelievable week. I have received pictures of my Grandparents grave at Tower Hamlets Cemetery, via email, from people, who like yourself go well beyond the call of duty to help others. In this world where there is so much uncertainty and hatred, how nice to know there are still people out there willing to help their fellow man.

A big thank you to Kate & Paul, who I am sure can tell how new I am to all this! The links you gave and knowledge that you have acquired are certainly going to help on my quest for more history.

Meryl

Meryl,

No problemo! I have to drive past Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery anyway and will, as always, use this as an opportunity to pay my respects to the Hants Regt lads buried there.

I will e-mail this to you upon my return.

Regards

Marc