Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where on Google Earth?

Skipman

Mells. :D

Mike

Mike,

Well done as from my glance through this thread your 8 minutes for a correct answer is the record. Someone else will surely be up for beating it though!

I am really enjoying this thread, thanks for starting it.

Ian.

Nice guess but no. The country is France and the area is the Somme. I mean with all those clues this should be dead simple. You see Michelle will soon come up with the location but I bet nobody will guess what I found there (well almost there, I cannot actually remember the excact location but this is near enough I think!)

Regards

Norman B)

Alright I admit that just a field is a bit (bit?) difficult to identify trouble is that you are all so damn good that anything else and you will guess immediately. Here is the view a little further up the road.

For those that know it now and the suspense is killing you about what I found here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/glosters/3348...57616167273771/

Norman

post-21884-1252937863.jpg

• 4 months later...

This is in England.

Willing to give clues if needed, but given the response to my previous contributions I doubt they will be!

post-437-1264716492.gif

Cheers,

Nigel

• 2 weeks later...

Let's make it even more difficult for the majority of you!

This one is in Italy and yes, it is in the mountains.

Franz

post-50322-1266103596.jpeg

• Admin

Nigel

Redmires camp?

Michelle

Sorry, Michelle, but no. Not Redmires Camp.

2nd clue: It was not a camp, but very closely connected with the war effort.

Cheers,

Nigel

Spot on Tom, or at least it is a part of it. No. 1 Shell Filling Factory, Leeds.

The site extends upwards into the ploughed field and the green border at the right hand side, but nothing seems visible from the air. The site can be seen on the ground in the programme Ian Hislop made about the 'Barnbow Lasses'.

I grew up about a mile from here and brought dogs and bikes here over many years.

Cheers,

Nigel

I have no idea about this one, and unfortunately the best guess I can come up with would be, the moon!

Sorry,

Nigel

This is off-topic ...

Simon's one looks like a plateau in a desert. I'd search in two places: Sinai or Egypt south of El-Alamein.

Franz

Franz has it. It is the Naqb Abu Dweis box, the southernmost defensive position in the Alamein sector about 35 miles SSW of El Alamein, 30°27'1.04"N, 28°36'2.36"E. Unfortunately the area is restricted and the Bedouin are reluctant to take anyone there for fear of mines.

Franz has it. It is the Naqb Abu Dweis box, the southernmost defensive position in the Alamein sector about 35 miles SSW of El Alamein, 30°27'1.04"N, 28°36'2.36"E. Unfortunately the area is restricted and the Bedouin are reluctant to take anyone there for fear of mines.

Well, I then gained my full right to point reader's attention to the picture in my post #112 in this thread.

As said, it is in the Italian Alps. Experts on the use of GoogleEarth may have a hint in the fact that this place is covered in high resolution.

At a very close look it is possible to spot in the picture two alignements of bomb craters. Following the alignements (as pointing arrows) brings to two different AH gun positions. One is not visible (poor resolution and a little cloud), while the second is easy to spot.

Double honours to the one who can find also the battery location!

Franz

Congrats to Franz. I was thinking along the lines of Qattara Depression or Kasserine, so I'm pleased I was at least on the right planet (unlike Nigel :whistle: ) and even at the right end of the right continent.

I was at least on the right planet (unlike Nigel :whistle: )

:lol:

Now, now Mick, I've been known to go off people, you know?

Cheers,

Nigel