Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Town South of Heathrow Airport

Broznitsky

Can Pals suggest a nice quiet-ish town south of Heathrow? Perhaps a half-hour by hire car distance, suitable for jet-lagged travellers?

I've found Richmond and Twickenham recommended on a travel forum; how about Staines?

Or something smaller and less busy?

Richmond is a lovely place to stay - great shops, lovely walks by the river or in the Royal Parks, good restaurants, a few rather good hotels at a price ... And depending on what you have in mind, it's a stone's throw from The National Archives, and has good rail links to central London, both mainline rail and underground. The town centre is busy, but I don't think you'll find anywhere in that area that doesn't have a fair bit of traffic. I would say it's head and shoulders above Twickenham and Staines. Once there you could forget the car for most of the time.

Sue

You could try Windsor, Marlow or Henley on Thames. All a bit west rather than south, but easily reached from Heathrow and all very pleasant.

Half an hour will poivde you with a large number of small towns but two points

The area tends to be expensive and

Getting out of Heathrow can take an more than thirty minutes on a bad day

As Chris says, go west, not south....

I'd add another vote for Richmond. I stay there, or nearby, on trips to the National Archives and would agree with everything Sue posts. It's certainly somewhere you could spend a couple of days while adjusting to the time zone.

Thanks to all who replied.

Portsmouth would be the next stage in the journey, after Heathrow. Any other ideas?

Newbury is about 60 miles from Heathrow and well placed for onmove to Pompey.

Dave

Thanks to all who replied.

Portsmouth would be the next stage in the journey, after Heathrow. Any other ideas?

Why not go straight to Portsmouth, it's not that far from Heathrow

Newbury is about 60 miles from Heathrow and well placed for onmove to Pompey. Dave

Dave, do you mean Newbury Berkshire? I note there is a Newbury Kent.

Why not go straight to Portsmouth, it's not that far from Heathrow

Steve, how many minutes getting out of Heathrow to a hotel in Portsmouth, realistically?

Steve, how many minutes getting out of Heathrow to a hotel in Portsmouth, realistically?

Broznitsky,

Heathrow to Portsmouth is about 85 miles and between 1.5 - 2 hours in travel time.

Ian.

Dave, do you mean Newbury Berkshire? I note there is a Newbury Kent.

Berkshire

Dave

Newbury is about 60 miles from Heathrow and well placed for onmove to Pompey.

If you're prepared to consider that far west, there are coaches every 20-30 mins to Oxford (approx 90 mins travel, if not in the rush hour) and it's only about £20. Lot cheaper than a cab to somewhere nearer.

Portsmouth is about 70 miles from Heathrow, so you could find a base there fairly easily. realistically its about 1.5 to 2 hours from clearing customs and immigration. Local car hire firms will collect - I am not sure about current prices but could check if you want. There are a variety of hotels, from basic to mid range, no savoy or Ritz though.

Keith

ok, you did say only half hour from Heathrow, I guess that limits you a fair bit, if that is your timescale, I would suggest Guildford, maybe 45 mins from Heathrow and on the way to Portsmouth