Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Memorial Relocation for a car Park - Reasonable or not?

bushpig3

Hi All

I am just wondering if any other forum members can give me help in fighting against a proposal by our local city Council to remove the local cenotaph from its present location in Jubilee Park in Mackay to a beach location to make a car park!!!!!

The reason is that Council built a Convention Centre next to the park and there was no allowance made for provision of car parking. The Convention centre was opened last month and they realised oh no there is not enough parking we should bulldoze the park and make a car park!!.

The park is the oldest park in Mackay as well as containing the cenotaph as well as 4 other memorials.

The Council wants to move them to Illuka Park next to the beach front. Apart from the effect of sandblasting from sand and possible destruction from a storm surge if we have a bad Cyclone. (A storm surge of 7 metres or 21 feet was recorded 500 metres north of the spot in the 1918 cyclone). Concerns have ben raised too about possible vandalism as it is known to be a problem area.

Can other forum members give me examples of moves that have gone wrong or instances of degradation of other seaside memorials etc.

The memorials are not in immediate danger so It is not like memorials moved due to roadworks or being in a location like the centre of a main thoroughfare so why move them. Council has unused area in front of an administration building about 300 metres away.

find relevant news stories here

http://www.dailymercury.com.au/story/2009/...y-for-car-park/

http://www.dailymercury.com.au/story/2009/...ay-of-progress/

http://www.dailymercury.com.au/story/2009/...-park-cenotaph/

All comments greatly appreciated

thanking you

Glen Hall

Research Officer

Mackay Historical Society & Museum Inc.

Mackay, Queensland, Australia

Glen

Just a thought mate.

Are there any families still in the district that have their relatives names on the Memorials?

Could be worthwhile trying to contact them to put pressure on the Council , and push hard the

vandalism and enviromental concerns regarding storm surge and cyclonic effects.

Sounds like a typical NSW council , perhaps they have moved north.

Best of luck Mate.

Peter

Quote: Jubilee Park itself was one of the first areas in the region to be named as open space on the first town plan in 1863.

Do you know the wording in this document? Does it give you any legal help? Was the land gifted to the people in some way?

Best wishes and good luck,

CGM

I'd just like to echo CGM post, the name Jubilee Park would suggest that it was given as a gift. Incidently we have a Jubilee Park in the next village and when the local council decided to give planning permission to a local developer and make access through the park a comunity councilor pointed out that the park didn't actually belong to the council but to the village and without their permission access couldn't and wouldn't be granted, pleased to say the park is still intact.

Jon

I'd just like to echo CGM post, the name Jubilee Park would suggest that it was given as a gift. Incidently we have a Jubilee Park in the next village and when the local council decided to give planning permission to a local developer and make access through the park a comunity councilor pointed out that the park didn't actually belong to the council but to the village and without their permission access couldn't and wouldn't be granted, pleased to say the park is still intact.

Jon

This has happened to one of our open green areas.

The land was left for the use of the townsfolk by a local landowner for grazing livestock, having markets, and later, somewhere for the yearly fair to be held when it came to town.

It is now a carpark itself.

The council with local developers again, ran roughshod over the locals who they are supposed to represent. No doubt a few pennies greased palms -_-

It happened years ago and it seems they have got their way. For a while the parking was free, but today they charge the earth for an hours parking.

DW

Why not try and get it moved to a more suitable location .If the council want it moving, point out that they will have to clean it up and rededicate the memorial . Why not research the men on it and point out to the council that these were real people and not just names carved in stone. Explain your concerns to the council and try if possible to get the press involved, petitions etc..... Good luck anyway and i hope it turns out well.

P.S ask the council do they have any funding for the future up keep of the memorial.

Moving war memorials is not unknown - the Royal Naval Division memorial in London has been moved twice and the Lancashire Fusiliers Memorial in Bury is in the process of being moved for a second time as as the memorial for the city of Norwich. In my experience, each time it has happened it has been handled sensitively and the memorial itself has not suffered. The important thing is to ensure that the new location does justice to the memorial itself and the people that it commemorates.

Tim

Glen

If the local council wants to move the memorial then utimately they will whatever the opposition. Not fighting the move could be an advantage as you could help dictate terms such as making sure the new site has advantages, the memorial is returned to 'as new condition' if you know what I mean. Here in my own town the names on one of our memorials have completely dissappeared. If it was moved their being re-inscribed would be a price worth paying. As Tim suggests make sure it is done sensitively and TIMELY.

Bernard P