Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

R W Surreys(the Queens)

stu

Hi,

Can anyone please tell me what the 1st RW Surreys(The Queens) were doing between 22/10/18 and 26/10/18.

I'm particulary interested in any mention of 2nd Lt John Rudkin.

Many thanks.

Stu.

• 1 month later...

Hello Stu

Hope that the following may be of use/interest.

Orders were given to the 1st Queens whilst in billets at Troisvilles for an attack by their Brigade (19th) at zero hour set for 2am on 23/10/18.

The Battalion left Troisvilles during the evening of the 22nd organised in four companies which set off in the followin order "B", "C", "D" & "A" in platoons spaced at fifty yard gaps, following a route via a cross country track by La Sottiere and the main Le Cateau - Inchy road the battalion reached a bridge which spanned the river Selle where they sheltered on the far bank, sadly some casualties were inflicted on the Queens the result of a heavy barrage by the enemy.

More men became casualties during that night due to more artillery fire, early on the 23rd moved to their alloted position at the start line in very misty conditions, with "B" & "C" in front on right and left respectively and with the other two companies in support the battalion moved forward on a frontage of 850 yards, by the time the Queens had reached the deployment tapes "C" company had lost such a large number of men that "A" company had to replace them, due to the weather conditions direction had to be kept by compass.

Nearing Croisette and Richemont the enemy shelling became heavier, due to which the battalion was halted at about 6am taking refuge in a sunken road, whilst

on the road the battalion was subjected to a heavy enfilade of machine gun fire, resulting in more casualties, in an attempt to counter the Germans fire "B" company under Lt Thomas was ordered to form a defensive flank and open fire on the enemy.

Whilst the above was going on Lt-Col the Hon H Ritchie set of to reconnoitre, but was badly wounded by machine gun fire, after two failed attempts to rescue him the enemy machine gun was dealt with and sent to the rear, at about that time more of the enemy were sighted over a ridge adding to the critical position the battalion were in, upon the Queens being commanded by Capt Avery he withdrew the battalion and reorganised same into three companies as their were no survivors of "D" company.

The advance on the next objective got under way at 8.15am, it being the Slaughter House in the circumstances somewhat apt, despite again being subjected to more shelling the position was reached, where they met up with the 5th Scottish Rifles, the 1st Queens took up the right of the line where yet again the battalion were mauled by both machine guns and 77mm guns at close range from the direction of Harpies Mill, the Tank attached to the Brigade then arrived on the scene, but broke down and could not make headway.

Reinforced by the Cameronians the attack was renewed with the third objective reached at 9.50, it was where the 1st Queens dug in on the south west edge of the Bois de Vendegies, with the Cameronians pressing on towards the forth objective, the Queens spent the night in the wood with fresh supplies reaching them about midnight.

Early on the 24th the battalion went forward in support of the two Scottish battalions to be the left flank on the brigade, during the rest of the day and night the Queens area was heavily shelled, on the morning of the 25th it was reported that the enemy still held the village of Englefontaine.

At midday the Queens were again ordered forward to capture the final objective on the morning of the following day, zero hour was 1am on the 26th (I suspect that the next is of interest), on the left was "B" company led by 2nd Lt J Rudkin, "A" on the right led by 2Lts Moultrie and O Jackman MM, Lt Pelling & 2Lt Clark were in charge of special left & right flank patrols, the attack was entirely successful with only light casualties, it would seem that the enemy had been taken by surprise and due to the way that the attack was pressed home the Germans quickly surrendered, the main difficulty was in rounding up the prisoners.

Casualties for the period totalled 109 all ranks,20 other ranks dead, 9 officers & 78 other ranks wounded, 1 missing plus 1 gassed.

Prior to leading "B" company 2Lt J.A.Rudkin was a "C" company officer, along with Capt G.E.Ashpitel,M.C.,& Lt R.O.V. Thomas.

I hope that the above is of some use.

David.

Hi David,

Many thanks for the excellent info.

As a point of interest,my man Rudkin won an M.C. for single handedly capturing an enemy machine gun on the 26th.

Thanks.

Stu.

Hello again Stu

I appreciate your kind comments, now that my brain is in gear, a bit more info for you 2Lt O Jackman sadly lost his life 7/11/18 the last day that the battalion fought in WW1 he is buried in Ecuelin churchyard,Nord, France one of only 8 CWGC graves there, some of the others are also 1st Queens members.

It would seem that Capt A.R.Abercrombie D.S.O.,M.C. the former o.i/c of "C" company that 2Lt J Rudkin replaced probably died of wounds as he is buried in Guildford,Surrey he died on New Years Eve 1918.

It is frustrating to note that the Queens history makes no mention of 2Lt Rudkin`s action on 26th, but makes mention of the destruction of an enemy machine gun by 2Lt C.S. Clark .

David

Hi David,

Thanks for the additional info,what is your source,is it the regimental history?

Would you also please be kind enough to look up any other mentions of 2nd Lt Rudkin for me.

He was originally commisioned from the KRRC in 1917 to the 3rd Battalion and subsequently attatched to the 1st,I don't however know from what date this happened.He was discharged as a Lt in 1919,was commissioned as a Lt into the IAOR,discharged in 1921,enlisted as a Trooper in the Royal Dragoons in 1922 and was discharged as a Sjt in 1929.

He obviously enjoyed the army life,can you imagine the look on the faces of the junior officers in the RGD when he was wearing his M.C. that must have been quite satisfying for him.

Many thanks for any other info you might have.

Regards.

Stu.

Hello Stu.

I am pleased that the information was of interest, yes I did look up the Queens Regimental History in the Great War, then checked ODGW & CWGC site to see if their was extra items of interest for you, the bad news is that the regimental history only makes two mentions of 2Lt J Rudkin ie when he was at a position west of Clary with the Battalion on the morning of 9/11/1918.

At the time the 1st Queens had been reduced to three companies, and comment is made regarding the number of changes regarding officers which are as follows.

"Lt-Col H.H.Lee, D.S.O. in command, Lt K.M.East, adjutant and Lt D.V. Bernard, signalling officer"

A Coy 2Lt J.E.Corry,M.C. and 2Lt H.C.Crawley.

B Coy Capt G.E.Ashpital,M.C. Lt R.O.V.Thomas and 2Lt J.A.Rudkin.

C Coy Capt A.R.Abercrombie,D.S.O.,M.C. 2Lt W.R.Rudland and 2Lt C.S.Clark.

The other time that 2Lt Rudkin is mentioned is when placed in command of B Coy.

It is frustrating to not find anything more in other books etc, but I will have a more detailed look in the morning for you.

Being nosey (as usual) are you a relative of the gallant Queens officer, as it would seem that you have a lot of information on him already?

David.

Stu.

Me again, no joy I am afraid I have looked in several books today to see if I can find any more references to 2Lt J Rudkin M.C. but to no avail, sorry.

One thing did cross my mind when looking through the books for you, in view of the fact that your man was an officer, it might be worth making a call to the Queen`s Royal Surrey Regiment Museum, Clandon Park, West Clandon, Guildford, GU4 7RQ.

The last time that I had any reason to contact the museum, J.G.Woodruff (Hon Archivist) was really helpful, putting a lot of effort into my "plea for help".

The telephone number is 01483 223419, I hope this may be of help to you.

David.

Hi David,

Many thanks for your help,especially the museum tip.

Sadly Lt Rudkin was not a relative of mine,I have his M.C. group which also comes with his 2 original commission documents and his original certificate of service(Regular army red book type) for the RDG.

Many thanks again.

Stu.