Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Good Old Man Farm'

Terry Carter

I was looking through my copy of the book 'Following the Tanks' by Jean-Luc Gibot & Philippe Gorczynski. In the book I came accross a modern day picture of the ruins of 'Good Old Man Farm.' However, I cannot find any reference to it in the book therefore what is so special about this place?

When I go over in September, I plan to visit the area. Thus, any interesting information that I can glean from you all and then I can pass on, might be rewarded with a glass or two of the frothy stuff.

Thanks

Terry

Terry

Good Man Farm is located in Map Sheet 57CSE2 Gonnelieu Map Square R9 Lat 50 deg 05.221'N 3 deg 09.308'E. Hope this helps.

John

Thanks John

My mate, who I am visiting the Somme with, reckons he has an interesting story about an action around 'Good Old Man Farm'. I want to counter-strike with with more info, if I can.

Cheers

Terry

This is Good Man Farm in rainy June........if you want to get up close, take your wellies those nettles are vicious!! :unsure:

Steve.

goodmanb.jpg

Terry,

It was the scene of a well deserved postumous deserved VC:

Lt. (A/Capt.) Richard William Leslie Wain, V.C.

From the London Gazette, 13th February 1918

For most conspicuous bravery in command of a section of Tanks. During an attack the Tank in which he was, was disabled by a direct hit near an enemy strong point which was holding up the attack. Capt. Wain and one man, both seriously wounded, were the only survivors. Though bleeding profusely from his wounds, he refused the attention of stretcher-bearers, rushed from behind the Tank with a Lewis gun, and captured the strong point, taking about half the garrison prisoners. Although his wounds were very serious he picked up a rifle and continued to fire at the retiring enemy until he received a fatal wound in the head. It was due to the valour displayed by Capt. Wain that the infantry were able to advance.

Steve

To back up the post about the foilage, this was also taken in June facing the farm from the track that leads to the farm.

GoodOldManFarm.jpg

Steve

Hi Terry

Good Man Farm, was in the 6 Ox. & Bucks line of attack, their Chronicles give very little info. but mentions that one platoon of "C" Coy consoliated it. They seem to have had little opposition right up to their second objective in the second line.

Annette

Terry,

It is easily walked to and the cellar is still accesable, may be the same one that sheltered troops in 1917/8 accepting the farm was re built. Not alot to see and you will have to leave the car in some remote location unless you walk from La Vaqurie ( sorry re spelling).

One of the battleground Europe books covers the area, Im sure I have it and your welcome to borrow it!

Regards

TT

Perhaps stating the obvious but the ruins of Good Man Farm are modern ruins i.i.r.c.. Or a re-enactment of the old ruins, or..... :rolleyes:

Regards,

Marco

Marco,

Yes the obvious, as I stated.."accepting th farm was rebuilt"

The cellar may have survived and been built over by the new build.........?????????????????

Regards

TT