Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Tenth (Irish) division in Gallipoli.

206thCEF

Written by Bryan Cooper,Major, General List New Armies, Formerly 5th Service Battalion The Connaught Rangers.

Dated 1918.

Contains a list of Officers Killed, Wounded and Missing.

Names of Officers, NCOs and ORs Mentioned in Despatches.

Names of Officers, NCOs and ORs Awarded Honours.

From the American Libraries Internet Archive files.

Joe

http://www.archive.org/details/tenthirishdivisi00cooprich

Good man Joe. Yet another cracker.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Thanks Joe, looking forward to reading this.

Peter

Joe,

Now having time to read the parts of the book that interest me from a family history perspective, I think you have actually done me even more of a service.

My great-great uncle Charles Jarvis served with 5/Connuaght Rangers, being reported KIA on 27 Aug 1915, the date the battalion assaulted Hill 60. Always puzzled me why most of the battalion's dead for this period were reported on 28 Aug, whereas a smaller number were reported (like Charles) as 27 Aug 1915. 1914-15 Star Roll also showed that a minority of men reported as dead on 27/28 AUg 1915 were KIA, whereas most were "regarded as dead", suggesting that some like Charles were definitely known to have been killed, whereas the majority was initially reported missing. Not uncommon in confused, failed assualts which resulted in the enemy holding most of the battlefield.

While its not conclusive proof of anything, I read with great interest Mahon's description of the battalion's assault, especially that after the "stormer" party had gained the Turkish lines, the second wave followed. These men suffered heavy losses, including a number of men who actually fell back into the Britsih trench dead. I can only wonder whether this explains the difference between the dates of death and the KIA/"Regarded as Dead" issue.

Jim

Hi,

For 3059 Lance Corporal Charles Jarvis, 5th Connaught Rangers. I think his number 3059 would have him enlisting during Nov 1915.

Number 3010 was given to Sergeant Major John Hudson who joined the 5th Battalion from the Irish Guards 19 Oct 1915.

25 recruits joined the Battalion from Galway 7 Nov 1915

1 recruit joined the Battalion from Castlebar 7 Nov 1915

35 recruits jopined the Battalion from Galway 9 Nov 1915, going by the sequence of numbers I think he woukld most likely have been with this group.

Regards Mark

Hi Mark,

Charles enlisted with the Yorks and Lancs in Aug 1914, and appears to have been part of the large scale transfer from that Regt to the 5th Connaught Rangers in late 1914 as mentioned in Jourdain. Charles was definitely serving with the Rangers in early 1915, and prior to his arrival at Gallipoli.

I suspect that the Rangers may have had some duplication in service numbers, ie regular, special reserve etc.

Regards,

Jim

Hi Mark,

Charles enlisted with the Yorks and Lancs in Aug 1914, and appears to have been part of the large scale transfer from that Regt to the 5th Connaught Rangers in late 1914 as mentioned in Jourdain. Charles was definitely serving with the Rangers in early 1915, and prior to his arrival at Gallipoli.

I suspect that the Rangers may have had some duplication in service numbers, ie regular, special reserve etc.

Regards,

Jim

Hi Jim,

Yes 350 recruits from Pontrfract mostly composed of men who had enlisted in Yorkshire for the Yorks & Lancs arrived at the 5th Battalion 11 Sept 1914.

Service numbering seems to have been very complex at the time

Regards Mark

• 9 months later...

HI All

Ian Gill here from Perth, Western Australia, but now living in Bali, Indonesia. I am co-writing a unit history on the 10th LIght Horse Regiment AIF and my narrative includes the Gallipoli campaign where this unit fought dismounted as infantry. At Hill 60, only 3 weeks after being very badly mauled at The Nek on Russell's Top, the Regiment fought very hard from 1am on 29th August. Hugo Throssell was later awarded the VC, the only VC to a light horseman in the Great War.

Part of my narrative includes the earlier fighting at Hill 60 in which I make mention of the 5th CR's, who too did some very hard fighting over the week they were in and around Hill 60. I have reference from Ray Westlake's - British Regiments at Gallipoli, but I wish to clarify the following information. I have commented very positively on the 5th CR's in the book as I have with the New Zealand Mounted Rifles Brigade who were there the longest and were right up there with the very best troops at Gallipoli.

I wish to confirm the following names, christain names, rank and regimental number.

L/Cpl MacNeely - cannot find him on CWGC website honour roll

Private Michael Judge - orderly to Lt Col Jourdain -

2/LT TWG Johnston

Maj NCK Money

I like to put their full christian name in and service number in notes.

If anyone knows who was awarded gallantry awards for Hill 60 from 5CR's I would be grateful to hear also as I wish to give some proper balance to this fight.

My email direct is

igiangill@gmail.com

MANY THANKS in anticipation

Ian Gill

Hi,

Johnson, Thomas William Gerald, MC. (5th Bn.): 2nd Lieutenant 24th Nov 1914. Served in Gallipoli, wounded; mentioned in despatches; awarded MC.

Apptd Lieutenant Royal Army Medical Corps 15th Feb 1916. Retired from RAMC. 1914-15 Star, British & Victory Medals

Money, Noel Campbell Kyrle, DSO (5th Bn.): 22nd Punjabis Indian Army, Captain 21st Dec 1910. Served NW Frontier of Indian 1908; operations in the Mohmand Country;

engagement of Kargha 24 May 1908, medal & clasp. Joined 5th Bn 24 Aug 1914, apptd Temp Major The Connaught Rangers 28 Dec 1914. Served in Gallipoli.

Severely wounded 2 Sept 1915. Died of wounds 7 Sept 1915 at sea. Mentioned in despatches, DSO.

318 Private Michael Judge (runner to to Lt Col Jourdain) (from Medal Card no.512848 Labour Corps & no.104144 Royal Fusiliers)

Picture from 'Ranging Memories' by Lt Col Jourdain

There is 4479 Lance Corporal M McNeely 5th Battalion, who is listed as wounded in The Irish Times on 8th Oct 1915. Who is later killed in action with the 6th Battalion in 1916.

Name: McNEELY, MICHAEL

Initials: M

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Connaught Rangers

Unit Text: 6th Bn.

Date of Death: 03/09/1916

Service No: 4479

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 15 A.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=803873

Regards Mark

post-14045-1277553497.jpg

post-14045-1277555654.png

Hi,

Johnson, Thomas William Gerald, MC. (5th Bn.): 2nd Lieutenant 24th Nov 1914. Served in Gallipoli, wounded; mentioned in despatches; awarded MC.

Apptd Lieutenant Royal Army Medical Corps 15th Feb 1916. Retired from RAMC. 1914-15 Star, British & Victory Medals

Money, Noel Campbell Kyrle, DSO (5th Bn.): 22nd Punjabis Indian Army, Captain 21st Dec 1910. Served NW Frontier of Indian 1908; operations in the Mohmand Country;

engagement of Kargha 24 May 1908, medal & clasp. Joined 5th Bn 24 Aug 1914, apptd Temp Major The Connaught Rangers 28 Dec 1914. Served in Gallipoli.

Severely wounded 2 Sept 1915. Died of wounds 7 Sept 1915 at sea. Mentioned in despatches, DSO.

318 Private Michael Judge (runner to to Lt Col Jourdain) (from Medal Card no.512848 Labour Corps & no.104144 Royal Fusiliers)

Picture from 'Ranging Memories' by Lt Col Jourdain

There is 4479 Lance Corporal M McNeely 5th Battalion, who is listed as wounded in The Irish Times on 8th Oct 1915. Who is later killed in action with the 6th Battalion in 1916.

Name: McNEELY, MICHAEL

Initials: M

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Connaught Rangers

Unit Text: 6th Bn.

Date of Death: 03/09/1916

Service No: 4479

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 15 A.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=803873

Regards Mark

Thanks Mark

Everything I need now, so fantastic. Now the 5 CR's will be better and more accurately written about in my narrative.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian,

These are from a Journal kept by 6757 Sergeant John McIlwain of the Connaught Rangers at the time. (IWM Catalogue Number: 5537 96/29/1)

Regards Mark

Hi Ian,

These are from a Journal kept by 6757 Sergeant John McIlwain of the Connaught Rangers at the time. (IWM Catalogue Number: 5537 96/29/1)

Regards Mark

post-14045-1277638691.jpg

post-14045-1277638758.jpg