Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Favourite Great War Paintings

Earl of Berkhamsted

...hmmm who are these strange men approaching in white coats...what is that sacklike think they are holding

This is a great thread...I may even make Brigadier General

Or Napoloen XIV :lol:

Chris

post-48147-1251132243.jpg

My Favourite Great War painting is 'The Charge at Huj' by Lady Butler, because it captures the moment of impact in Palestine on the 8 November 1917. The artist shows considerable skill capturing the light, the swirling dust and the speed of the arme blanche charge of both Warwickshire Yeomanry and Worcestershire Yeomanry. Their line of advance for the last 1000 yards was fully exposed to the fire of guns, machine guns and rifles.

"Why, though, stick to paintings, what about drawings and the like (he says being a big Nevinson fan......) "

At the Landing and here ever since by Barker 7Bn AIF

A caricatured portrait of the head and shoulders of a 'typical' Australian soldier on the Gallipoli peninsula. He is smoking a cigarette, has teeth missing and a band aid on his chin.

This work was used in 'The ANZAC Book', which was published in 1916 from illustrations, poems, stories and other creative works from the soldiers on the Gallipoli peninsula.

post-48333-1251134181.jpg

Thanks Chris - great choice of work. I had not seen Orpen's 'Dead Germans in a Trench' before - powerful stuff.

Some great works being shown in this thread. What a treat.

Regards,

EoB.

There is a stunning colour, that looks like a painting, though maybe a colour enhanced photo of two Turkish fliers. They look totally dishevelled, with very threadbare raggy clothes and basic equipment, stood to attention in front of what could be their captors. In the background is a biplane, also rather tatty.

This picture caught my eye in.................our local Kebab shop, of all places after an evening out. It has a certain feel to it, which is why, i suppose, it caught my eye.

DickW :rolleyes:

The fight between the "Onslow" and the "Derfflinger", by Neville Sotheby Pitcher SMA.

An old book illustration, it depicts an incident during the Battle of Jutland, stirring stuff!

David.

post-21239-1251209049.jpg

Mine is the famous 36th Ulster Division on the 1st July 1916. Makes me proud to be an Ulster man.

Lest We Forget.

Regards,

Phil

post-43363-1251209292.jpg

post-43363-1251209402.jpg

When Gunboat mentioned paintings with a religious feel to them I rememberd that somewhere on my book shelf I had a copy of Stanley Spencers "Resurrection of Soldiers" The main piece from a series of ten other panel paintings ( all with a Great war Theme) he painted in the Sandham Memorial Chapel Burghclere, nr Newbury, Hampshire . from 1924 to 27

Img_2537.jpg

All images National trust copyright

I will also dig out a copy of his painting Travoys Arriving with Wounded at a Dressing Station at SMOL, Macedonia, September 1916, later.

Chris

The other ten panels or least cropped versions

Map reading .The men are resting during a pause on a route march. The officer consults his orders and map

w-000060-sandhammemorialchapel-map_.jpg

Sorting the laundry

w-sandhammemorialchapel-sorting_lau.jpg

Ablutions

w-013787-sandhammemorialchapel-ablu.jpg

Bedmaking The painting is of a hospital ward in a requisitioned house in Salonika where Spencer was sent as a patient when taken ill with malaria.

w-004635-sandhammemorialchapel-bed_.jpg

Scrubbing the Floor . A shell-shocked man in a corridor of the Beaufort Hospital is scrubbing the floor. Drab featureless walls.

w-000074-sandhammemorialchapel-scru.jpg

Convoy Arriving with Wounded

w-009251-sandhammemorialchapel-arri.jpg

...then approx two hundred years later, we have Joseph Wright's 'The Experiment with an Air Pump'.

An absolutely outstanding painting! :)

And now for something completely different…

Certainly not to everyone’s taste…bleak, stark and often disturbing, but some very powerful images.

Incredible work Chris which I have not seen before...do we know how this work was recieved?

Wesley I agree totally striking images...but if I am honest terrifying looking at them at this time of night in a house alone!

I feel like a dog with two tails - excellent contributions all round.

Thank you Chris for the panels, I very much enjoyed the quasi-religous feel to them, particulary 'Filling Water Bottles'.

It has given me some inspiration.

Thank you Wesley for the link to Otto Rix's work. Very haunting. Also glad you like 'Experiment with an Airpump'.

Here's Spencer's 'Travoy's arriving with wounded at a dressing station at Smol, Macedonia, September 1916' for Chris.

post-38356-1251273229.jpg

Regards,

EoB.

Speaking of art and horses???

If and when shall we see EOB horses??

That noble beast enslaved by the war machine.

Or that wild desert spirit held by the Light Horseman.

Maybe you could propose an equestrian theme for a future MGWAT?

Regards,

EoB

Here's one of my favourites although I dont know much about the painting or the artist

regards Stuart.

post-25579-1251302244.jpg

Who is the artist? The style is very reminiscent of Rackham, though not his type of subject.

Thank you for putting me out of my misery Greyhound. :wacko:

I've been racking my brains to think who that style reminded me of!

Although it would appear that Rackham did his bit for the war effort...

kingalbertsbookunconquerablesm.jpg

'Unconquerable' from 'King Albert's Book' 1914

A large picture of an unidentified member of the New Zealand Expeditionary Force. I have been trying to discover who the serviceman was for a few years now. Perhaps one day .......

Regards

Wayne

Cannot remember who the artist was. Searched for a long time to try and find a print of the picture without success.

I think that it is a great piece of art that allows you to feel that you are there with the men and feeling the cold.

The file says that it is the property of 'Archives New Zealand'

3860127440_0d016383c9_o.jpg

Hello

I have been following this for a while i originally got in to the great war through the poetry ( i have changed tack some what since) i have a book which has a great deal of these pictures in called, some corner of a foreighn field poetry of the great war , isbn 0-316-88899-0 great poetry fantastic paintings.

love both Nashes and also britsh scouts, by Sydney W Carline along with the Poem An Irish airman Foresees his death , W.B Yeats , made for each other.

Rich M :blink::poppy::ph34r: