Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

17th Sherwood Foresters

CT-Guards

I'm Looking for a copy of the War Diary for October 1916 for the 17th Sherwood Foresters (Nott's & Derby's)?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Regards

I'm Looking for a copy of the War Diary for October 1916 for the 17th Sherwood Foresters (Nott's & Derby's)?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Regards

Are you looking for a specific day, date or action as i might be able to help you. BRONNO.

I'm looking for the 9th October possibly on the Somme.

Thanks for your help

I'm looking for the 9th October possibly on the Somme.

Thanks for your help

War Diary 17th Battalion Sherwood Foresters (Welbeck Rangers) October 1916.

7th Oct. Trench Routine, heavy artillery shelling on both sides.

2nd Lieutenant W.E. BARNES joined for duty on the 4th October 1916.

Congratulatory message from G.O.C. At 6.5 p.m. The Artillery on both sides became very violent and it was reported that the enemy were attacking our left flank but this was not so and the situation became normal about 8 p.m.

2nd Lieut. D.St.G. PETTIGREW wounded.

5.30 a.m.

The enemy made a Bombing attack on our left flank and succeeded in driving in our Bombing Post. Using flammenwerfer and heavy hostile barrage on our front, support and reserve lines. A vigorous counter-attack was made and the enemy who was expelled from his temporary position. We captured 13 prisoners and killed 25 of the enemy including one Officer with very little loss. The enemy were the 110th Regiment of Baden-Baden. On the whole, a rather successful show.

8.30a.m. Situation normal, intermittent bombardment throughout the day.

9th. 4.30 a.m. One platoon under 2nd Lieutenant C.H. Statham took part in the attack on Schwaben Redoubt in conjunction with the 16th Sherwood Foresters, the objective which was secured with great dash and gallantry our men accounting for a considerable number of the enemy. After remaining there for over an hour 2nd Lieutenant Statham was forced to retire through weight of numbers and lack of support on the left flank which had failed to attain its objective. The enemy was bombed intensively with his own bombs and great amount of casualties inflicted. It was a splendid fight and good leadership was shown by the Officer in Command.

Capt and Adj T Thornton, Lieut and Qr. Mr. J.W. Marriott and 36641 RSM L. Rogers who was recommended for the Military Cross for devotion to duty and consistent good work in the field for the past 7 months.

10th. Trenches. Situation normal, intermittent bombardment on both sides throughout the day and intensive barrage was placed on our front support lines at 12.50 p.m. on account of an attack being delivered by a Brigade on our right in Stuff Redoubt. The Battalion is relieved by the 1st Herts Regt and move into Hutments at Martinsart Woods.

Casualties during period of last 5 days, 1 Officer wounded 29 Other ranks killed, 72 Other ranks wounded, 1 Other rank missing, 2 Other ranks wounded at duty.

Hope this is of some help. BRONNO. :ph34r:

BRONNO,

Just what I needed, many thanks to you.

All the best and thanks for your effort.

Colin

• 1 year later...

Hi guys

Thought I'd jump on the bottom of this post as I'm looking for War Diary - or any other info - for one of my Buxton lads:

L/Cpl 31885 Edward Bennett - 17th Battalion - k.i.a. 22 May 1916

Many thanks

Graham

• 8 years later...
On 25/06/2011 at 17:35, GrahamC said:

Hi guys

Thought I'd jump on the bottom of this post as I'm looking for War Diary - or any other info - for one of my Buxton lads:

L/Cpl 31885 Edward Bennett - 17th Battalion - k.i.a. 22 May 1916

Many thanks

Graham

Only 8 years later and maybe you got your answer already. But just increase you didnt here is a snippet from diary I’ve added in some names of OR killed, I will add Edward Bennet in too.

GORRE 18th - All ranks working in front line. A coy training. 240 men bathed and change of underclothing

19th - all ranks working in front line B coy training

20th - All ranks working front line. C coy training. Remainder battalion bathed and Chang of underclothing

21st - all ranks working in front line till 12 noon. Divine service Then after 12, battalion moves from Brigade reserve into trenches. GIVENCHY SECTION - LA BASEE CANAL A coy in support. Enemy blew up a mine in front of D Coy, accompanied by heavy bombardment of trench mortars and rifle grenades. 3 OR killed 6 OR wounded.

GIVENCHY

TRENCHES 22nd 03:00 sit norm

19;00 heavy bombardment on both sides of battalion frontage

20:00 Sit norm 7 OR wounded

[CQMS Sgt Frederick Green killed by rifle grenade blast. He was delivering a message to Capt Sydney Freeman Brookfield at the time]

23rd - Sit norm. 3 OR killed 11 OR wounded

[Pte Thomas King died at this time. 32 years old son of Thomas and Eliza King, Husband to Lydia H King of 10 Allen Street Hucknall, Notts]

24th - Sit normal, trench routine