Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Footballer Soldiers

mo44th

I have a list of soldiers who served longside my Grandfather, Colour Serg. George Petrie 3615,2923430,62418 Cameron Highlanders.

One of the soldiers listed is Daniel Ross 7443 2931087 CQMS,2nd Battln. JOINED UP 7TH MARCH 1906. came out 4th April 1928 after serviing in France during WW1 and in Macedonia. WAS AWARDED msm, 1914-15 STAR BWM, VM , LS & GC. Daniel is described as a ' noted Footballer'

Can anyone tell me about his football career please?

Regards

Alison

I have a list of soldiers who served longside my Grandfather, Colour Serg. George Petrie 3615,2923430,62418 Cameron Highlanders.

One of the soldiers listed is Daniel Ross 7443 2931087 CQMS,2nd Battln. JOINED UP 7TH MARCH 1906. came out 4th April 1928 after serviing in France during WW1 and in Macedonia. WAS AWARDED msm, 1914-15 STAR BWM, VM , LS & GC. Daniel is described as a ' noted Footballer'

Can anyone tell me about his football career please?

Regards

Alison

Alison,

I notice that member Rob Bulloch has an extensive thread on the Queens Own Cameron Highlanders...it will probably be worth you posting this request to him on that thread?

All the best,

Ian.

Alison,

I notice that member Rob Bulloch has an extensive thread on the Queens Own Cameron Highlanders...it will probably be worth you posting this request to him on that thread?

All the best,

Ian.

Ian,

Many thanks for that, I shall certainly follow your suggestion up.

Regards

Alison

I can't find him in a listing of Scottish international "caps". If you know where he came from, that might give you a clue as to what teams(s) he may have played for. Antony

Alison.

I had a look to see if I could see him in the football leagues of the time and I could not see his name. But! saying that he was 32 years in the Cameron's, so he would not have been in the professional/amateur league. I think the term "Noted footballer" means his football record with inter army league. I could be way off base on this, but it is the only explanation I can come up with.

Aye Rob.

Alison.

I had a look to see if I could see him in the football leagues of the time and I could not see his name. But! saying that he was 32 years in the Cameron's, so he would not have been in the professional/amateur league. I think the term "Noted footballer" means his football record with inter army league. I could be way off base on this, but it is the only explanation I can come up with.

Aye Rob.

Hello Rob,

Thanks for your efforts

It did not occur to me that it may have been Army based football (the other lot is just as bad, I am not really a fan) but I do have another string that I might try. Being a member of WFA, I know that Clive Harris is an avid fan of Soldier 'fitba' players so I shall have a quiet word with my pet chairman and see if I can get Clive's email address from him. Who knows it might pay off. There might also be something in the Cameron journals. Thanks anyway,

Regards, Alison

Alison.

Check with forum member Ian McCallums thread Cameron Highlanders Magazine 1914-1918 look ups. Daniel Ross may get a mention. I have posted an item on your original post. Aye Rob