Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Commemorated in three cemeteries

ralphjd

Whilst wandering around Rochdale Cem yesterday taking photos for the War Graves Project I came across a memorial stone to Capt Fountain Okey Colborne Nash 5th Northumberland Fusiliers, upon checking if they already had him I find that he is buried in Birr Cross Roads Cem and also commemorated in Somerleyton (St Mary) Churchyard, never come across this sort of thing before, is it a common occurence ? just as a matter of interest. Ralph.

Whilst wandering around Rochdale Cem yesterday taking photos for the War Graves Project I came across a memorial stone to Capt Fountain Okey Colborne Nash 5th Northumberland Fusiliers, upon checking if they already had him I find that he is buried in Birr Cross Roads Cem and also commemorated in Somerleyton (St Mary) Churchyard, never come across this sort of thing before, is it a common occurence ? just as a matter of interest. Ralph.

Very common - one of the Portishead men who died in WW1 who came from a wealthy familiy is commemorated three times in the space of about 30 ft! His name appears on the family gravestone just outside the church, a private brass plaque inside the church, and on the War Memorial (also inside the church).

Very common in Scotland where the large family gravestones usually show all family members who have died and state where. The local churchyard has about 12 gravestone inscriptions for soldiers/sailors who died in the Great War but only one CWGC listed grave. All those who died are then listed on the granite memorial on the main street and also on a large wooden roll of honour in the town hall. One or two also appear on other memorials in nearby villages, plus one in a local post office memorial and one in a memorial in the local carpet bowling club.

All available to see on the Scottish War Memorials Project and the Scottish War Graves Project

\Spoons

Some are remembered by memorials in all the establishments they passed through. Julian Grenfell, for example, has his grave in France and is on memorials at Summer Fields, Eton, Balliol and his regimental one, to name but a few!

Chris

It also seems to be fairly common for an individual to be commemorated in both his town or parish of birth and (if different) his place of residence.

Andy

Thanks for comments, I can understand names being on more than one memorial, I have a few of "my" men like that, but to have an actual headstone in a cemetery seems strange. Ralph.

You may wish to browse through the gravestones in the small churchyard at Buittle. There are 2 gravestones for one man, one a CWGC stone and the other a family gravestone. There is also one for Rev John Davis who died whilst serving in RAMC but his 'grave' in Buittle is empty. There are also a fair variety of family gravestones recording deaths that occurred elsewhere.

\Spoons

Extremely commonplace. Often they are commemorated on a family headstone, a plaque in a church and possibly on several other memorials. I have a nightmare trying to cross reference these :rolleyes: