Remembered Today:

Joesph Harry King Hertfordshire & Bedfordshire Regt

alan11

I am trying to find out about my Grandfather Joseph Harry King, Regt No may be 4716 and 266488, if this is the same person, I believe he joined the Hertfordshire Regiment in the Great War, being a Royston lad, I no information other than he may or may not have ended up as RSM in India after the war, he only spoke of India, not the war. He passed away in 1960.

Hi Alan

You need to flesh him out a little more and a good start might be to getbhis medal card.

It is available as a download from the National Archives

Medal card of King, Joseph

Corps Regiment No Rank

Hertfordshire Regiment 4716 Private

Bedfordshire Regiment 266488 Private

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/11links to the Catalogue

The N/A link is http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...;resultcount=24

If you are lucky some kind Pal here with an Ancestry membership may be willing to get it for you!

If you click on the Long Long Trail (top left here!) you should be able to narrow down his history as the NA records show he was with both the Herts and Beds Regiments and not that many merged batallions went to India . His medal card will refine that for you.

Good hunting!

Colin.

If you are lucky some kind Pal here with an Ancestry membership may be willing to get it for you!

If you click on the Long Long Trail (top left here!) you should be able to narrow down his history as the NA records show he was with both the Herts and Beds Regiments and not that many merged batallions went to India . His medal card will refine that for you.

Here's his Medal Card, be careful though with the assumption that he served with the Bedfordshire Regiment. When the Territorial Force was renumbered in 1917 the Hertfordshire Regiment was treated as part of the Bedfordshire Regiment (as were the Huntingdonshire Cyclists) and their new numbers were allocated from the Bedfordshire Regiment number block.

266488 falls nicely into the Bedfordshire block (265001 to 290000) allocated to the 1st Hertfordshire Regiment so it looks as if his war service was with them and not a Bedfordshire battalion. The Medal Roll itself (available at Kew) should hopefully prove who he served with one way or the other.

Regards

Steve

post-1432-1250724079.jpg