Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

West Yorks Regiment

Gunner R.A.

I would be grateful if anyone could answer the above question please, i have a soldier who was killed in action on the 14th of April 1917 in Salonica, he is believed to have been a "Machine Gunner" with one of the battalions of the West Yorks Regt,

kind regards,

Pete.

Hello Pete

According to the index to WO95 at Kew, the War Diaries, no battalions of the West Yorks served in the Salonica theatre.

83 Infantry Brigade, 28th Division, had three Yorkshire-based battalions: 1st KOYLI, 1st York & Lanc and 2nd East Yorks.

He may have been transferred from the West Yorks to the Machine-Gun Corps, and served in one of the brigade m/g companies.

What does the CWGC record show as his unit? (go to cwgc.org and search for his name on the Debt of Honour Register)

Ron

Hello Pete

According to the index to WO95 at Kew, the War Diaries, no battalions of the West Yorks served in the Salonica theatre.

83 Infantry Brigade, 28th Division, had three Yorkshire-based battalions: 1st KOYLI, 1st York & Lanc and 2nd East Yorks.

He may have been transferred from the West Yorks to the Machine-Gun Corps, and served in one of the brigade m/g companies.

What does the CWGC record show as his unit? (go to cwgc.org and search for his name on the Debt of Honour Register)

Ron

Thanks for the reply Ron it's appreciated, i suspect you are right and he was serving with one of the Machine-Gun Corps.

This particular soldier is not on the CWGC, nor SDITGW,

cheers,

Pete.