Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt. Douglar Heron Marrable

Jukes

Jules,

Can you check spelling? Can't find him anywhere - MIC, SDGW, CWGC, etc.

John

He is on my Freemasons database. I have not been able to trace his military record but the following appears in the Dorchester Directory 1915 as;

1) MARRABLE; Douglas Heron; The Corner House ; West St.; ; Private Residents

2) DORCHESTER DISTRICT; RIFLE CLUB; ; Princes St.; DH Marrable hon sec

Also appears on the Sherborne Abbey Masonic Memorial Screen

Spelling therefore would seem to be correct. Any information on this chap likewise much appreciated

Mike

As with John and Mike - no trace in all the usual places - incl NA and LG and The Times

He was 58 when he died - death registered 4th qtr 1916 in Dorchester vol 5a page 415 - the certificate might possible give a clue - depending on how interested you are

A Google search suggests someone researching Dorchester War Memorial also found him elusive - though this link suggests he might be recorded there as being in the Border Regiment (and census records give him born in Castle Douglas Kircudbrightshire) - but date of death doesn't tie in with registration and perhaps there is some confusion with his son - Edmund who was killed in a flying accident in April 1918 (http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=369232)

http://forum.kerchi.co.uk/community/index....ic=893.0%3Bwap2

Good Luck

Sue

He is on my Freemasons database. I have not been able to trace his military record but the following appears in the Dorchester Directory 1915 as;

1) MARRABLE; Douglas Heron; The Corner House ; West St.; ; Private Residents

2) DORCHESTER DISTRICT; RIFLE CLUB; ; Princes St.; DH Marrable hon sec

Also appears on the Sherborne Abbey Masonic Memorial Screen

Spelling therefore would seem to be correct. Any information on this chap likewise much appreciated

Mike

Many thanks for the infomation which is very helpful.

Regards Jukes

As with John and Mike - no trace in all the usual places - incl NA and LG and The Times

He was 58 when he died - death registered 4th qtr 1916 in Dorchester vol 5a page 415 - the certificate might possible give a clue - depending on how interested you are

A Google search suggests someone researching Dorchester War Memorial also found him elusive - though this link suggests he might be recorded there as being in the Border Regiment (and census records give him born in Castle Douglas Kircudbrightshire) - but date of death doesn't tie in with registration and perhaps there is some confusion with his son - Edmund who was killed in a flying accident in April 1918 (http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=369232)

http://forum.kerchi.co.uk/community/index....ic=893.0%3Bwap2

Good Luck

Sue

Many thanks for the information, will try these links.

Regards Jukes

Jules,

Can you check spelling? Can't find him anywhere - MIC, SDGW, CWGC, etc.

John

As far as I know the spelling is correct, but I have just noticed that I must have his the wrong key when typing this christian name. It should read DOUGLAS. As you see there is a some information from other replys.

Many thanks

Jukes

• 3 years later...

Not sure if anyone is still interested, but Douglas (Assistant Instructor in musketry) and his son Edmund (RFA), both of whom died in WW1, feature in my book 'Dorchester Remembers the Great War. Mail me for more information.

Thanks,

Brian.

• 7 years later...

Hi im looking for a picture of Evelyn  Catherine Mary Phillbrick? ( she was in the play "The sign of the cross") she was an actress died in1924 .Douglas Heron Marrable was executor in her wlll. If father and son died in the first w/w have you the  date's and any info on there life.Regard Roy   

Don't know how much you know about Evelyn, but I've found a bit of info online...not WW1 related as far as I can find though...a bit here.

Screenshot_20191107-003837.jpg

Edit...one of her sisters survived a murder attempt in 1892.

Edit2...Douglas Heron Marrable died of illness at home in the UK in or around early October 1916.

Edit 3 ....Edmund was killed in a flying accident in England on Thurs April 25th 1918 

Marrable was the passenger in an aircraft flown by Lt C Whelan, they collided with an aircraft flown by 2nd Lt Levi. during a mock dogfight...it was Marrable's only flight.

All the airmen were killed and buried in an East Kent Churchyard (unnamed) close to where they fell.

Edit 3...apparently crashed at Kennington, nr Ashford.

From Record of Service of Solicitors and Articles Clerks with His Majesty's Forces 1914-1919:

DOUGLAS HERON MARRABLE

Admitted February 1882, practiced at Dorchester. Served as Lieut. Territorial Reserve of Officers, Musketry Officer 51st Infantry Brigade. Retired with rank of Captain.

Quite a distinctive name - Is this him?

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29136/page/3838 

"THE LONDON GAZETTE, 20 APRIL, 1915

General List. ....
The undermentioned Staff-Serjeants to be Lieutenants. Dated 21st April, 1915 : — ...
Douglas Heron Marrable."

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29249/page/7585 

"THE LONDON GAZETTE, 3 AUGUST, 1915

TERRITORIAL FORCE RESERVE.
Infantry- ...
General List.
The undermentioned Lieutenants to be Captains. Dated 4th August, 1915: — ...
Douglas H. Marrable"

There are a number of other LG entries for Douglas Heron Marrable / Douglas H Marrable as a solicitor