Remembered Today:

William Akester, Salonika

AKEY

Hello again,

I keep thinking of loads of questions to ask, one has had me thinking for a while now. I know my ggggreat uncle was killed in 1917 in Salonika, but how did he get there? Could it be Gallipoli (I can't spell)? Regards,

AKEY

Akey,

Your ggg great uncle served with the 14th King's Liverpools. Here is their potted history from the Long Long Trail:

14th (Service) Battalion

Formed at Seaforth in October 1914 as part of K3 and attached to 65th Brigade, 22nd Division.

5 September 1915 : landed at Boulogne.

Moved to Salonika in November 1915.

Left Division and moved to France in June 1918.

23 July 1918 : attached to 66th (2nd East Lancashire) Division.

13 August 1918 : absorbed by 18th Battalion.

Ah, buried at Karasouli Cem. Karasouli is now called Polykastron. It's a lovely cemetery sloping up from the road.

Close to Polykastron is the 5 Nations ceremony commemoration site - a modern creation where, on the Sunday at teh end of September, there is a an official commemoration of the signing of the armistice. I was privileged to lay one of the british wreaths a couple of years ago.

You will find more information at the Salonika Campaign Society website (http://www.salonika.talktalk.net/) and the ceremonies are covered in the "ceremonies" section.

Martin I got to hold the Brtish flag at the ceremony the year I was there, I guess so Hugh would not have to choose between the others who were all British.