Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identification, officer or what?

keithm

Cousin Daphne has just found this old photo in a shoebox. I know the standing fig is grandfather, Sgt Henry AC. Stone, MGC, later WO2. Have much of his details but the sitting figure is a complete mystery.

Cap badge looks like a Guards Regt but being no expert could someone please give confirmation.

Are those pips on his shoulder, if so, how many, two or three?

What date did officers’ pips move from the sleeve to the shoulder? This could help date the photo.

The tunic looks so un-Guards like I can’t help wondering if someone is playing a joke, I have never seen such a scruffy looking officer.

Any thoughts? It may help with identification.

post-34365-1250537498.jpg

Looks like a Private Soldier in a Fusilier Regiment- IMHO the flames are too pointed for Grenadier Guards.

What look like Officer's stars on his shoulder straps are the unit title with a smaller badge above it.

Royal Fusiliers, I'd say, and the shoulder title is almost certainly the "RF", with a fusilier grenade above it.

Possibly even a City of London battalion (1st - 4th) with the "City of London" title added, if the chap's a territorial.

never cease to wonder at you guys!

Brother-in-law to Henry, the standing sergeant, is an Alec Bowers. There is a medal card under that name serving in the Royal Fusiliers, service number GS 12140.

Could I ask for someone to kindly look up the medal card?

Thanks

Here you go, MIC as requested (nothing on the back).

Regards

Steve

post-1432-1250542236.jpg