Remembered Today:

Help Please to find a Dragoon

Guest titanic

Hi I am from Perth Western Australia and I am trying to find some information regarding my Grandfathers war service.

My Grandfather Pte William Howard served in the 6th Inniskilling Dragoons as a Signaller. I have been told he was a regular and was with the dragoons for about eight years before the great war broke out and was sationed in India until they were transferred to the trenches in France I think in 1915.

I have a a childhood recollection of a photo of him on horseback in his dress unifom . We moved for the UK when I was young and my mother said he did not talk a lot about the war . He got frostbite in France like a lot of others and he never received any war pension which puzzled her . I have his medals but the only one with any inscription had his name and the numbers d- 1678.

If anyone could advise who to contact for information or could offer any advise I would appreciate it . He was born in Stafford in 1886.

Titanic - welcome to the forum.

The National Archives medal index card shows:

Description Medal card of Howard, William

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers 30544 Private

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/10

Not quite the dragoons however, but guess this is your chap?

His MIC, I'm not sure if Liz's link will work if you don't have an Ancestry subscription.

Regards

Steve

post-1432-1250507699.jpg

Details from the Long Long Trail mothersite.....

6th (Inniskilling) Dragoons

August 1914 : in Mhow in India, part of the Mhow Cavalry Brigade.

Moved with Brigade to France as part of 2nd Indian Cavalry Division, landed Marseilles at 14 December 1914.

September 1915 : Brigade transferred to 1st Indian Cavalry Division.

26 November 1916 : 1st Indian Cavalry Division renamed as 4th Cavalry Division.

10 March 1918 : Division broken up. Transferred to 7th Cavalry Brigade in 3rd Cavalry Division.

Steve

Thanks so much for the responses . My wife has a subscription to Ancestry so I will try the link that way. I now have something to work with. As I said I know he was a regular and my mother mentions that he spoke about Ireland which is where the Dragoons were formed. She said that he was hospitalized for a time in Birmingham after the war because of his frost bite , she has also wondered why he never he received a pension.

I have his medals but the only one with any inscription had his name and the numbers d- 1678.

Just as an aside, if you have all three original medals then they will all have his details on them. The 1914-15 Star will have them on the back, the other two inscribed around the edge.

Regards

Steve