Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Or Coin(french)

kevin

Could some one try and identify a(Medal or Coin.French) owned by my Aunt who lives in New Zealand, so i cannot see the medal or coin my self, but the decription is---.On one side there is 1914 and a 1 also a crown and some flowers, on the reverse side amans head St. Schartz and around is written--Franc.Ios.I.D.G.IMP.Avstr.Rex.Boh.Gai.Ill.Ect.AP.REX.HVNG.

She says itis a Medal but i think itis a coin but i cannot find any ref anywhere.

Regards Kevin

While I'm no expert, and couldn't identify the exact object, I can tell you that it's Austro-Hungarian rather than French. The inscription (in abbreviated Latin) reads 'Franz Josef I, by the grace of God, Emperor of Austria, King of Bohemia, something something, King of Hungary'. Hope this helps.

Thanks Munce.

I seem to have been looking in the wrong area(ie France) will go away and look in this new area.

It seems that it was a souvenir that he picked up on the front because the coin/medal is made into a bracelet that he presented to his girlfriend as an engaement present.

Thanks again,

Regards Kevin

Thanks for the info and after a further search, i came across an Austro-Hungarian site at http://www.austro-hungarian-army.co.uk (the army between 1848-1918)that has a forum site and there came up with the blanks, i.e:-

its a 1 crown coin

Ill =Illyria

AP=Apostolic

Ect=?maybe meant to read Etc=and more.

Regards Kevin