Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fuze No 85 Time and Percussion

John Cubin

Having seen the thread "What's My Fuse" on "Other" and the referred to "passioncompassion.com", I cleaned some of the muck off my fuze and found that I had an American made Bethlehem Steel Corporation No 85 Lot 1230 made in 1916. I'd appreciate any help in understanding the other markings on the fuze -

In picture 2, there is the letter 's' in a box between BSC and No 85. What does it stand for?

In picture 4, the numbers 50 and 51 (it is 51) flank the arrowhead inside the capital C. Any suggestions, please?

Also in picture 4, the timing rings appear to be set for percussion. If on an HE shell, would the fuze not have been much more damaged and is it likely that it had been on a gas shell?

Which leads to my last query. I believe the red paint signifies a fuze from a shrapnel shell, which doesn't tie in with the timing setting. Anyone resolve this puzzle for me?

John.

Edit: To avoid any confusion and as explained in Post #8, the numbers flanking the capital C are both 50.

post-2613-1250276118.jpg

Hi John, I don't know much about fuses but this one is a No.85 (see #2 pic), made by Bethlehem Steel Company (BSC). The Broad Arrow is the British acceptance mark for everything government/military. In pic #3 you have the lot number and date of manufacture (1916). In pic #4 the C /I\ is the Canadian acceptance mark for everything government/military.

I found a little more information:

Joe

85 Number on British fuzes. Time and Percussion Fuze. American M1902 supplied WW1. Introduced 1916. Obsolete 1921.

Hello Joe. Thanks for your reply. I didn't know of the Canadian mark. Doh! Should have been able to work that out. Is your post truncated? (Not being personal!)

Hello Tom. Thanks for the info. They must have developed something really good to make this piece of kit obsolete by '21.

Cheers

John.

Whether Shrapnel or HE, it has not landed on its head, as the raised top section could even imply it is still live! Though I doubt that with this example....

My own desk-top No. 85 fuse has two number 5s (in circles) either side of the similar Canadian WD marking, albeit a Scovil made 1917 model.

Thank you, R. I had thought that the colour was to ensure that the fuze was attached to the correct type of shell? That's me guessing again.

Ian, et al, your mention of the two numbers 5 each side of the Canadian 'C' made me have another look at mine. With the aid of a watchmaker's glass, I've been able to see that on my example the numbers are in fact both '50' and not 50 and 51 as I originally thought. Attached pic shows the bad strike.

post-2613-1250676081.jpg

please find a print of a No 85 Fuze.

John

post-1365-1250688653.jpg