Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brian Robson’s Crisis on the Frontier: The Third Afghan War and the Ca

bootneck

Can any body recommend Brian Robson’s Crisis on the Frontier: The Third Afghan War and the Campaign in Waziristan 1919-20 and is the Official Account by the India Army Headquarters of Third Afghan War 1919 useful for understanding the campaign. Can anyone other any other suggestions for books or accounts of this campaign.

Regards

Bootneck

It's actually Bryan Robson, rather than Brian BOND (I only say as if you try to find it by that author name, you will be unsuccessful!)

Yes, it's one of the best modern accounts of the war around. We were disgruntled at the lack of references to the Machine Gun companies and Motor Machine Gun Batteries (suggesting he hadn't looked at the source files) but that's special pleading slightly and, also, 'ever thus'.

The official history of the war is worth reading and, I think available online. Tony Heathcote's volumes on "The Afghan Wars" are very readable, if dating slightly now.

Thanks for pointing out that the Gremlins had got to me or I had football on the brain.

I have amended my original post as I had had already googled to find any books on the subject.

Many thanks for the comments on both books.

regards

Bootneck

Its an excellent book - published in 2004 - 'Crisis on the Frontier - The Third Afghan War and the Campaign in Waziristan 1919-20,' by Brian Robson. ISBN 1 87227 211 5.

Very readable, with 14 good maps and 4 appendices:

Appendix 1 Major Units involved 1919-20,

Appendix 2 Outline Order of Battle 6 May 1919

Appendix 3 Composition of Forces in Waziristan November 1919

Appendix 4 Campaign Medals and VCS.

Good Biographical notes with an excellent Bibliography providing plenty of clues for further reading and research.

• 2 weeks later...

Bootneck,

I'm interested in this book. Does the book have any mention of the Indian Telegraph Department's role in the war?

The only other recent book I have seen deaing with this conflict is Michael Barthorp's Afghan Wars: And the North West Frontier 1839-47 by Cassell. I have not read, only thumbed through it so hesitant to comment further on it. A lot of photo's though.

Regards,

Scott

Bootneck

Have you come across the book 'Afghanistan 1919' by Lt General Molesworth another book on the War, published 1962.

George Molesworth served as Adjutant to the 2nd Battalion Somerset Light Infantry throughout this conflict and subsequently served on the Staff of both the Indian Army and British Army in India

Brian

Scott,

Sorry, nothing on the department.

Brian,

Thank you for the additional information. Brian Robson made use of Molesworth's book when writing Crisis on the Frontier and I see he also wrote a book on the 2nd Afghan War that I will have to add to my future reading list as I enjoyed Crisis so much.

regards

Bootneck

Thanks anyway Bootneck. I think their role was pretty obscure, but looking for a mention anywhere.

Regards,

Scott