Remembered Today:

Soldier in 118th Siege Battery RGA

Parabat01

I am keen to find details of my grandfather, Gnr (Acting BDR) Arthur Duncan Whyte from Peterhead in Scotland who joined the Artillery in Scotland early in 1915.

He saw service in France until the end of the war as a signaller in the 118th Siege Battery RGA.

He was mentioned in despatches from Haig.

Any help appreciated. By the by...I'm in South Africa. If anybody needs help on anything this side I'm glad to help.

Parabat,

Welcome to the forum. Hopefully you'll get a few answers to your many questions (and you'll probably end up with a load more questions!!).

Here's Arthur's medal index card.........

33000531.jpg

You're in luck. There is a history of 118 Siege Battery available called "Occasional Gunfire - Private War Diary of a Siege Gunner" by A.W. Paton M.M published 1998 from a previous version from 1938.

Gunner Arthur White (That's how his name is spelt in the book) gets two nice mentions in the text and is mentioned in the list of members of the battery in the appendix. There is a photo of the battery prior to departure overseas so your relative could be in the photo.

For the record, the battery left Bristol on 26 June 1916 for France with their first gun position at Vlamertinghe (Ypres) armed with 9.2 inch howitzers.

A quick glance at some of the more popular book websites reveals that it is available anything from $50-$90 although dearer on the most popular book website.

Mark

You're in luck. There is a history of 118 Siege Battery available called "Occasional Gunfire - Private War Diary of a Siege Gunner" by A.W. Paton M.M published 1998 from a previous version from 1938.

Gunner Arthur White (That's how his name is spelt in the book) gets two nice mentions in the text and is mentioned in the list of members of the battery in the appendix. There is a photo of the battery prior to departure overseas so your relative could be in the photo.

For the record, the battery left Bristol on 26 June 1916 for France with their first gun position at Vlamertinghe (Ypres) armed with 9.2 inch howitzers.

A quick glance at some of the more popular book websites reveals that it is available anything from $50-$90 although dearer on the most popular book website.

Mark

Thanks to you both. I really appreciate your knowledge and interest in helping me.

I knew the old gent very well. He died when I was fifteen in 1968. He was a very proud man and spent many hours helping those returned servicemen who did not come away from the war unscathed. I remember one guy, a certain Jack Macker, who survived Delville Wood. He gave me his bayonet which I still have to this day.

:rolleyes: