Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

DCM from WW1

chrissiedee

Can anyone help me at all. I have in my possession a copy of a document which was sent to my grandads family which says he was given the DCM for an act of bravery. I have been able to find his medal card and the card does denote DCM on it. Unfortunately it does not have his Regt No. on the card (which I know is strange). I have also got numerous cuttings from the local paper about the medal being awarded to him. The problem I have is the Army etc., say that the medal was not awarded. Can anyone shed any light on the matter as I keep hitting a brick wall all the time. They say it should be in the London Gazette but it isnt. Any help out there would be most appreciated.

Here is another cutting which I have found relating to my grandfathers award from 1915

Is there any one who can help me with this please?

post-48191-1251549910.jpg

Hi Chrissie

Welcome to the forum,

Post his name and Regiment and the dates etc of the info in the local papers

hywyn

All the cuttings have now been posted please can you let me know what you think?

Thank You

Chrissie

Chrissie

Please be patient with us; he is not showing up on the standard searches. Have you looked to see if he's mentioned in the East Lancashire regimental history?

Chrissie

Please be patient with us; he is not showing up on the standard searches. Have you looked to see if he's mentioned in the East Lancashire regimental history?

He is not listed under theEast Lancs Regiment in Recipients of the Distinguished Conduct Medal 1914-1920 by Robert Walker or R.W. Walker & Chris Buckland, Citations of the Distinguished Conduct Medal 1914-1920.

He is not listed under theEast Lancs Regiment in Recipients of the Distinguished Conduct Medal 1914-1920 by Robert Walker or R.W. Walker & Chris Buckland, Citations of the Distinguished Conduct Medal 1914-1920.

Why do the newspaper articles exist if the award was not given. Where do I go from here, I am struggling to understand why the Medal Index Card denotes a DCM if the award does not exist. Can anyone advise me what else I can try. I have already tried the East Lancs Museum in Preston a number of years ago but came back with nothing. It really baffles me :huh:

We have tried hard to help. Maybe this is a case for you or a researcher to take on for more searching.

We have tried hard to help. Maybe this is a case for you or a researcher to take on for more searching.

Many thanks for your help. It is much appreciated. I shall keep on digging.

It would seem that he did have a relationship with the Royal Artillery and in post 20 and others an artillery (RFA) DCM is mentioned. This is worthy of some further digging.

• 2 weeks later...
It would seem that he did have a relationship with the Royal Artillery and in post 20 and others an artillery (RFA) DCM is mentioned. This is worthy of some further digging.

Hi there

Where do I go to next. Would you suggest I am best to go back to searching at Royal Archives or is there a chance that his records may be at Glasgow? Any direction that you can give me would be most appreciated. Thank you

Chrissie

• 2 weeks later...

There is a Lance Serjt A Duxbury in the LG 11.1.18 for the MM. Was the award reduced after initially being published? He is listed as Lancs Fusiliers though, maybe a relative.

The DCM seems to have been awarded before the MM was instituted. The difficulty so far is tracing the original Gazette.

The problem with the DCM awarded to 42691 L/Cpl C.T. Duxbury, Machine Gun Corps is that it wasn't Gazetted until 9th July 1917 and is therefore almost certainly not the same award as that which appeared in the 1915 Blackburn newspaper.

Another slightly odd thing apart from the fact we cannot find Cpl Duxbury's DCM citation is that according to the "police" MIC the DCM was to Cpl , whilst the papers recorded the rank as private.

Nothing odd about that: the papers are for 1915, the MIC is for December 1916, more than enough time for someone to be promoted.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for keeping this going. All the info that you give to me I am looking into but without much success. But I really do appreciate it

Thanks

Chrissie