Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
chrissiedee

DCM from WW1

chrissiedee

Can anyone help me at all. I have in my possession a copy of a document which was sent to my grandads family which says he was given the DCM for an act of bravery. I have been able to find his medal card and the card does denote DCM on it. Unfortunately it does not have his Regt No. on the card (which I know is strange). I have also got numerous cuttings from the local paper about the medal being awarded to him. The problem I have is the Army etc., say that the medal was not awarded. Can anyone shed any light on the matter as I keep hitting a brick wall all the time. They say it should be in the London Gazette but it isnt. Any help out there would be most appreciated.

PhilB

You`d better give all the info you`ve got, Chrissie - full name, regiment, any other info. These guys can do wonders but they need a bit to go on!

Hywyn

Hi Chrissie

Welcome to the forum,

Post his name and Regiment and the dates etc of the info in the local papers

hywyn

HarryBettsMCDCM

If you post his name here someone will help;there should be a DCM Card on Ancestry or the NA the London Gazette will show it if awarded also{search LG using surname & number only as forenames are not used usually in Gallantry Promulgations!

4thGordons
Can anyone help me at all. I have in my possession a copy of a document which was sent to my grandads family which says he was given the DCM for an act of bravery. I have been able to find his medal card and the card does denote DCM on it. Unfortunately it does not have his Regt No. on the card (which I know is strange). I have also got numerous cuttings from the local paper about the medal being awarded to him. The problem I have is the Army etc., say that the medal was not awarded. Can anyone shed any light on the matter as I keep hitting a brick wall all the time. They say it should be in the London Gazette but it isnt. Any help out there would be most appreciated.

As others have said - we need a name etc to help.

Was he an officer? If so, he would not have a service number.

Chris

PhilB

He can`t have been an officer when/if he earned a DCM, Chris, so he must have a number somewhere!

4thGordons

:blush: ah yes.....

probably had a name other than Rupert too then.

Chris

chrissiedee

My grandfathers name is Cpl Thomas Duxbury and he served in the 1st East Lancs Regiment during WW1. He was from Blackburn in Lancashire

The award was reported in the Blackburn Times on 20th March 1915 and also further information in the Blackburn Times on 29 April 1916

My family has tried constantly to get to the bottom of this but to no avail. I dont know where to go next. Any help or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

The cutting dated 20th March 1915 details the reason why the award was given. It also states that he was drafted to the front at the end of Sept and was alongside his brother Pte James Duxbury. My grandfather was also wounded on three occasions. The award was given for an act of bravery where my grandfather had to take an urgent despatch to the next company situated 7 miles away. My grandfather did this and he was shot in both legs, he crawled the remaining one and a half miles to ensure he fulfulled his mission. It also says that he was summoned to appear before the King in the latter part of April, when his Majesty will personally decorate him with the DCM in recognition of his heroic act. My grandfather did not wish to go to Buckingham Palace to receive the award (no idea why).

MelPack

Chris

The MIC that you have downloaded from Ancestry is purely about the police returning the lost DCM.

His MIC has yet to be uploaded on Ancestry but is available here from the NA

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=3

Mel

MelPack

Here is the 'MIC' for the recovery of the DCM by the police but I can't find the entry in the LG :unsure:

zzzzzDuxbury.jpg

MACRAE

The reason your Grandfather did not go to the Palace for his award. Is probaly because he was a genuine hero as real hero's shun publicity and shrug of what they do and do not go looking for gongs .

Dan

MelPack

I still can't find a WO 372/23 MIC for the DCM either.

There are two MICs for T Duxbury for a DCM or MM but they are with the MGC or Royal Field Artillery.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...&mediaarray=*

Mel

MelPack

I have just re-read the return MIC. Does anyone know what a R.A.T.A badge is?

Mel

Filbert70

Royal Army Temperance Association?

Ian

MelPack

Ian

What, he lost the badge after having one too many? :P

Mel

Retlaw
My grandfathers name is Cpl Thomas Duxbury and he served in the 1st East Lancs Regiment during WW1. He was from Blackburn in Lancashire

The award was reported in the Blackburn Times on 20th March 1915 and also further information in the Blackburn Times on 29 April 1916

My family has tried constantly to get to the bottom of this but to no avail. I dont know where to go next. Any help or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

The cutting dated 20th March 1915 details the reason why the award was given. It also states that he was drafted to the front at the end of Sept and was alongside his brother Pte James Duxbury. My grandfather was also wounded on three occasions. The award was given for an act of bravery where my grandfather had to take an urgent despatch to the next company situated 7 miles away. My grandfather did this and he was shot in both legs, he crawled the remaining one and a half miles to ensure he fulfulled his mission. It also says that he was summoned to appear before the King in the latter part of April, when his Majesty will personally decorate him with the DCM in recognition of his heroic act. My grandfather did not wish to go to Buckingham Palace to receive the award (no idea why).

Checked the East Lancs Records, and there is a Sgt Thomas Duxbury 201052 2nd battalion. He should also have amother number but it is not shown.

There are two James Duxbury's in the records

Retlaw

per ardua per mare per terram

There are two MICs for T Duxbury for a DCM or MM but they are with the MGC or Royal Field Artillery.

/quote]

Has anyone traced a DCM in the London Gazette?

The Medal Index Card pictured identifies the recipient as being in the E Lancs at time of the engraving of the medal, it doesn't mean that he was always in the E Lancs, so eith of the above could be him - if they won the DCM.

chrissiedee

As far as I know the RATA stands for Royal Artillery Territorial Association Badge and this is the one which was lost.

I have also searched the Gazette but cannot find the award in there.

Also I know that he did not serve in any other regiment. I did wonder that if he was in the TA's could it be that his documents/records are in Glasgow instead?

Am really struggling on this one and it has been a real bug bear for such a long time. To get to the bottom of it would be great. I really appreciate all the replies that I have recieved - thank you so much. I will try to post the cuttings that I have so that this may help.

Chrissie

PhilB

He can`t have been a territorial with the 1st East Lancs, can he?

per ardua per mare per terram

Please can you post to the cuttings Chrissie?

chrissiedee

I am struggling to add the cuttings to the site. I have only managed to upload this one so far. I will try to do the others. This is from the Blackburn Times newspaper date 20th march 1915 and relates to my grandfathers award of the DCM.

post-48191-1251032975.jpg

chrissiedee

This is the second of the cuttings I have which and my grandfather is the one on the bottom row at the left hand side. Again this is from the Blackburn Times dated 29 April 1916 and relates to a number of local soldiers who were given awards for gallantry. I have also been told that the award may not have been printed in the London Gazette if it was part of the Kings Birthday Honours which I think it may have been. The medal index card that I have is the same one that has been posted on the site by mel pack and I do believe this is the one for my grandfather. The DCm is denoted on the top of the card and the RATA badge is the one referred to 'as lost'. I beleive that my grandfather may have had to leave the army due to the injuries he suffered and then may have joined the TA's as well. Can anyone help me further?

post-48191-1251033191.jpg