Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bristol F2b Question

Russell Smith

Hi folks. I'm working on this Bristol painting and I've run into a detail question. In my photos of the TVAL Bristol I see on the SB side cowling, right up at the nose, a set of wires running to what I assume is the lever for the radiator shutters. I think I've seen the same thing on photos of Shuttleworth's Bristol, but I don't see this in any of the period photos in the Datafiles or the Osprey book. Is this a post-war or modern modification?

IMG_1535.jpg

Just gone through Chaz Bowyer's book on the Biff, it seems to be apparent in photos of post-war Bristols but not in WW1 ones

Might it be something to do with different engines fitted to the machine?

More likely a modification, ie it was easier to use based outside than inside the fuselage (presuming there was a radiator shutter control running inside the fuselage - otherwise would be hard to close/open it at altitude!). The Bristol's with the circular radiator cowling as shown were all fitted with Rolls Royce Falcons - although they differed in HP size I don't think it would have made enough of a difference to warrant a change of radiator control, except, perhaps, if the larger HP sized engines meant there wasn't enough space for the radiator control inside the fuselage

Just gone through Chaz Bowyer's book on the Biff, it seems to be apparent in photos of post-war Bristols but not in WW1 ones

Funny so have I and I can't see it on any aircraft including the one of the Shuttleworth one pre 1985 (when the book was published)

Working backwards in the Bowyer book, looking for the piece on the cowling;

Page 88 - a black mark above the prop blur is at roughly the same location as the one in the photograph above

Page 78 - bottom photo, can just make out what appears to be it

Page 67 - top photo, same as above

Page 62, top photo - just forward of the forward strut it's clearly visible (so close it looks like it's attached to the strut)

Working backwards in the Bowyer book, looking for the piece on the cowling;

Page 88 - a black mark above the prop blur is at roughly the same location as the one in the photograph above

Page 78 - bottom photo, can just make out what appears to be it

Page 67 - top photo, same as above

Page 62, top photo - just forward of the forward strut it's clearly visible (so close it looks like it's attached to the strut)

No not convinced more tomorrow

Thanks so much, everyone, for your input. After reading the opinions here and elsewhere, I think I'm better off leaving that little detail out of the image. I've found no photos of this particular Bristol, so as far as I know there is no proof to the contrary.

Russ

Looking at a very clear photo of the Shuttleworth Brisfit taken some time post 1935 this fitting isn't there.See Aircraft archive aircraft of WW1 vol 2. Suggests that it is a more recent mod.

Looking at a very clear photo of the Shuttleworth Brisfit taken some time post 1935 this fitting isn't there.See Aircraft archive aircraft of WW1 vol 2. Suggests that it is a more recent mod.

I suspect that the radiator shutter control may have been deleted or even not fitted to Bristol Fighters operating in permanently hot climates such as Mespotamia and India. There the challenge was keeping the radiator sufficiently cool, rather than over-cooling as at altitude in Europe.

I also seem to remember overhearing that there were different radiators and in particular radiator header tank sizes, also to cope with different climates. This certainly required some 'fine tuning' on one of the recent restorations which bombarded its pilot with hot water on some of the early post-restoration test flights!