Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Grandads picture from RAMC

stodman

post-48320-1250086677.jpg

Finally able to upload a picture handed down from my Grandfather.Thanks to other forum members i have found out Grandad was in the RAMC and on his medal card it states 4 AT.

Can anyone else glean any information from the picture?Thanks

Hello tag,

'Grandad was in the RAMC and on his medal card it states 4 AT'. The photo was posed by a Railway Carriage, it is possible that 4 AT stands for 4 Ambulance Train.

Regards

Ron

Thanks for both replies, i am a complete novice at this.

On Grandads medal card it states Newman TGA, private, 19903 and 7245569

where it says Star there is 14 in front and after RAMC/6 3

Date of entry into war 15/08/14

Thanks for any further information

Chap on the right of the picture has 5 Good Conduct badges - that must be about 20 years service or thereabouts.

tag

The lifebelt is from a Cross Channel Ferry of the Belgian flag,so it is likely that they travelled to war on this vessel.

I would also suggest that it was possibly Folkestone as the trains stopped tightly alongside the quay there.

You could check this in the unit War Dairy if it is the personnel of 4AT.

Sotonmate

The chap on the right , to me, looks as if he has three thick conduct chevrons with two thinner light backings showing through. But he does have a full row of medal ribbons, so 20 yrs is easily possible

The W.O. is the only NCO, except for the cpl on the right, without a red cross badge on his upper arm. He has a badge below his crown though, but that does not look like a red cross badge to me.

Alan

Re his card:- he was entitled to the 1914 Star that is the 14 as mentioned, the reference further along is the medal roll register reference held at the National Archives at Kew. Ralph.

Re his card:- he was entitled to the 1914 Star that is the 14 as mentioned, the reference further along is the medal roll register reference held at the National Archives at Kew. Ralph.

Ralph

Can you see another card on Ancestry? I've looked and can't find one but in theory there should be another card for his British War & Victory Medals. The card found only shows entitlement to 1914 Star (with clasp & Roses) and a GSM with Iraq Clasp.

Regards

Steve

Thanks for all your responses.I am trying to upload another picture which has just come to light.

CHARLIELAVIN well i was always given to understand that it was the soldier with the moustache holding the lifebelt.However as mentioned above another photo has come into my hands which i am told shows Grandad on the back row third from the left.

Pals

shot in the dark post war?

Officer at 12 o clock of life ring looks to have a medal ribbon?

Grave and battlefield tidy up post 18?

"Good Conduct badges - that must be about 20 years service or thereabouts. "

What a story that proud man could tell.

Atnomis.