Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

history needed on Reginald Treharne - Wales?

juliapows

Hi

Can anyone please help?

I'm tring to locate details from a Dead Mans Penny which has been located in a chimney breast whilst ndertaking renovations.

Its for Reginald Treharne - I've searched a few data bases but drawing nothing.

Any help greatly appreciated

Welcome to the Forum.

I have checked CWGC and SDGW but only found a possible on the latter.

L/Cpl Reginald Treherne 15920

11th Bn. South Wales Borderers

Died of Wounds 30.08.1917

Born: Neath

Enlisted: Neath

Was the plaque found anywhere near Neath?

Myrtle

Hi

Many thanks for your reply

Yes it was located in an old cottage in Maes Mawr Road, Crynant, Neath.

It surely must be the same soldier.

There's a number 58 on the Penny - by the lions back foot - would that have any significance do you think?

Regards

Julia

Welcome to the Forum.

I have checked CWGC and SDGW but only found a possible on the latter.

L/Cpl Reginald Treherne 15920

11th Bn. South Wales Borderers

Died of Wounds 30.08.1917

Born: Neath

Enlisted: Neath

Was the plaque found anywhere near Neath?

Myrtle

Hi

Many Thanks

I am absolutely amazed at the reponses and the time taken by those who have responded!

I only came across this site by accident!

Thanks again to all.

Julia

Julia

Have a look at this site where it explains about the number near the lion's back foot.

LINK

Myrtle

Hi

Census? Please excuse my ignorance

No - I am quite new to this - approx 4 hours of research history! Quite a newby!

Julia

Julia

Have you done the census?

Hywyn

Julia

You could put a request in the Non commemoration section of the Forum to see if anyone can find an entry for Reginald Treharne on the Commonwealth War Graves site.

Myrtle

Julie

The census of of the population were taken once every ten years. tells you where people lived. I've looked in the 1901 and there isn't a Reginald Treharne (or spelling variants) in Crynant.

As Myrtle points out it is strange that we cannot find him on the CWGC. I have, and I'm sure others will have as well, tried all sorts of spellings but with nothing coming back. That is the Official recognition of their sacrifice. The forum has a Non Commemoration section dealing with making efforts to secure this recognition where it is missing. If you are unsure of posting another topic let me know and I'll start one off on your behalf.

Hywyn

The 1911 census has over fifty people with the surname Treharne living in Neath at that time, however there isn't a Reginald amongst them.

Myrtle

Thanks for checking for me.

Are the census records usually accurate?

Julia

The 1911 census has over fifty people with the surname Treharne living in Neath at that time, however there isn't a Reginald amongst them.

Myrtle

Julia

There are sometimes mistakes with the censuses when transcribed. I only checked the free part of the 1911, therefore I was not able to see if there was a Reginald Treharne living in another part of the country but born in Neath, as this part of the census only lists the people who were resident in Neath at that time.

Myrtle

Hi

I've put a request on the non-commemoration section, hopefully that may be fruitfull.

Thanks again for your help!

Julia

Julia

You could put a request in the Non commemoration section of the Forum to see if anyone can find an entry for Reginald Treharne on the Commonwealth War Graves site.

Myrtle