Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

why do they do it

MACRAE

The great and wonderful name that must never be mentioned auction site has a trio for sale that has been split , once again the attractive £££££ strikes again. Why do people do this I will never know . And in my home town as well .

T3-026535 DVR . T. PATTERSON A.S.C".

(260458769331)

:angry2:

Dan

Dan,

sadly I think you know that you have answered your own question, money!

Some people collect medals for pleasure, others to make a few bob!

Regards,

Scottie.

Scottie & Dan

I think the 'British Medal Forum' had this one in their list of 'Splits' in their 'Splitter' thread. I thought they had this one in hand.

They find 'Splitter' sellers on a daily basis, as can be seen.

Dick

Yep, another gone in separate directions.

It makes you wonder........... :(

DW

The great and wonderful name that must never be mentioned auction site

One for the mods, perhaps

Is there a Forum ban on mentioning ebay or any other commercial site that crops up in discussion? I often see threads referring to sites as, for example, Eb*y, Ancest*y, Nava* & M*litary and wonder why. Have I missed an announcement?

As to the original question, I'm sure the answer is that the seller thinks they can make more money that way. My instinct tells me that a set kept together should be worth more than one sold separately, but I wonder if there are any buyers and sellers who can confirm this is generally the case.

John

One for the mods, perhaps

Is there a Forum ban on mentioning ebay or any other commercial site that crops up in discussion? I often see threads referring to sites as, for example, Eb*y, Ancest*y, Nava* & M*litary and wonder why. Have I missed an announcement?

As to the original question, I'm sure the answer is that the seller thinks they can make more money that way. My instinct tells me that a set kept together should be worth more than one sold separately, but I wonder if there are any buyers and sellers who can confirm this is generally the case.

John

:blink: ooops he mentioned the unmentionable help ma boab jings crives michty me

Dan :lol:

:blink: ooops he mentioned the unmentionable help ma boab jings crives michty me

:lol: :lol: .......................................wot R U on m8!

The great and wonderful name that must never be mentioned auction site has a trio for sale that has been split , once again the attractive £££££ strikes again. Why do people do this I will never know . And in my home town as well .

T3-026535 DVR . T. PATTERSON A.S.C".

(260458769331)

:angry2:

Dan

Because they have different values to medal collectors. I'm not a medal collector but can understand your frustration. To the seller, splitting the trio is a chance to make more money by making people with different values (medal collectors) bid higher to get the three.

Is this the market forces Mrs T always said would save the world? B)

John

:lol: :lol: .......................................wot R U on m8!

Erm... Not Evilbay that's for certain!

Seph :hypocrite:

Some blame must surely lie with those who bid on seperated medals knowing full well they will "rob" someone of reuniting a Pair or Trio,if no one bid on these split groups the practice would soon die out (B) (?)

.......................................wot R U on m8!

Dan's just having an attack of the Oor Wullie's ...

post-20192-1250162139.jpg

LOL!

:lol::D

Mark

I'm not a collector but this seems like a bit of a non-question to me. People who sell medals do so for profit and to finance their hobby. Either way, it makes sense to maximise one's profit. If no-one bought them, no-one would sell them. As long as there is a market, traders will trade. We might as well ask why people sell books or parts of uniform and equipment.

Some do it because they know no better; to them 3 Medals are the same as three CDs or 3 Ornaments; you list each one seperately..

The maximum price is generally that for a complete trio,buyers will hang back if they fear they may miss out on one or more of the lots,so to split a group up to try to make more money from it doesnt always work?

It seems to me that people splitting simply see them as those 'little bits of metal', and fail to comprehend the human element. Medals, to me at least, are about the (mainly) men, and the stories behind them. I know for sure that my own grandfather would play merry hell if he knew how his medals were abused, and the boxful of letters from his first wife placed spitefully on the fire by his second wife after his death. There should be a crime of destroying historically-valuable items.

J.

I don't think ebay is evil in any sense of the word, I buy and sell and have never had any problems. I'm waiting for the Yorkshire site to come on-line, eebaygum.co.uk.

Mick

The website you mention is for Yorkshire people who take drugs and lack teeth!

:lol:

Bruce

I don't think ebay is evil in any sense of the word, I buy and sell and have never had any problems. I'm waiting for the Yorkshire site to come on-line, eebaygum.co.uk.

Mick

:lol: Awsome :lol:

DW

The website you mention is for Yorkshire people who take drugs and lack teeth!

Bruce

:lol:

If there was an anouncement, I missed ot too. What is it all about?

The love of money is the root of all spliting.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, as has been stated above, over on The BMF we did have this one on our list and tried to get the lady dealer/seller to change her mind and relist as a trio. She seemed to have a strange business logic of offering them individually to allow everyone the chance to buy one or more but at the same time spouted on about maximising profits. I explained to her that they were worth more as a trio and together she would receive more interest to which she promptly offered them to me on a BIN!!

The upshot was that she refused to relist and they sold to one Ebayer at a combined total of £46.25 for the trio. In my opinion she lost out in the end. However the good news is that they are together.

If any members here, be they medal collectors or not, feel strongly enough about this subject that they want to become involved you are very welcome to visit the BMF for regular updates on "Splitter" activity on Ebay and any additional help from you would be appreciated in sending emails to sellers. So far this year we have recorded 114 auctions where the sellers have agreed to relist the medals.

Regards John

No one has yet told me but why does splitting a trio earn more money than keeping them together.

Is it because they think that they can get - say 50 quid for each but only 100 for the three together. The way

I look at it is that three together is worth a lot more than 3 by 3.

Even though I am not in the game of medal collecting I can understand the frustration when a trio is split up.

No one has yet told me but why does splitting a trio earn more money than keeping them together.

Is it because they think that they can get - say 50 quid for each but only 100 for the three together. The way

Even though I am not in the game of medal collecting I can understand the frustration when a trio is split up.

David,

They do it as they think they can start a bidding war, yet I think it just turns people away.

As a side note here is my on-going collection.

Cheers Andy.

post-41030-1251718072.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

David, these are the facts as I see it from my role in running and organising the "Splitter" section on The British Medals Forum. Last year we identified approximately 250 such auctions. However it was the first year so a few may well have slipped by. This year so far it is over 170. Last year 125 sellers agreed to relist and so far this year we are at 122. This is because we are better organised and a number of members are willing to take the time and trouble to seek out these auctions and send regular emails.

As I am sure you can appreciate this means I have exchanged an aweful lot of emails with sellers. We have very little or no problem with medal dealers or collectors who sell correctly. I can only think of one incorrect auction last year and one this year. Those that do offer groups in multi-auctions fall into three camps. They are 1. those selling their own, other family member's or given medals; 2. general dealers who sell the occasional medals; 3. general dealers who are selling on behalf of a third party.

No. 3 are in fact the hardest to get through to and the most likely to be told to sell seperately by the owners to get bidders to bid against each other. That is pure greed. Luckily they are the minority.

The largest culprits are in fact No.1 and it is out of ignorance 90% of the time. They have grand-dad's WW1 trio never worn and see three medals therefore their mind set is three auctions. When you explain to them how, why and what for they understand often apologising with embarrassment and relist. It is in fact a great shame more old soldiers didn't wear their medals as this problem would be less. I do not believe many, if any. would take the trouble to un-mount a group to sell.

I hope this explains the situation to you, so yes there are a few who for greed will put them in multi-auctions but in the main it is in sheer ignorance that the main bulk end up on Ebay in split auctions. Those in this section who will not relist often cannot be bothered by the hassle or have a fear of upsetting their bidders!

Regards John

A 'Split trio' from some time ago finished up with a great ending. A young lady had decided to clear her parents home out of all the old junk, finding the trio, she split them and sold them on the 'dreaded site.'

When it was explained to her that the three belonged together and that for history's sake and for the memory of the man who was awarded them, they should be put on sale as one lot, not forgetting to tell her of the cash increase she would likely get.

I sent her a couple of messages when she told me the name and details, letting her have a few more bits of info for her to put together a good description.

It turned out that the medals had belonged to her grandfather, who also had a QSA & KSA, which were found later. She was so touched at having the medals, she decided not to sell and kept them in the family. I managed to get a few more details, she found photo's, now they are framed up in pride of place in her home.

As they should be.

She did not even know he had been in Africa or WW1 and certainly did not know the medals were named to her family.

Dick