Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Engineers

mikehowe

My Great Grandfather joined the RE 1NT or (1WT) Bristol at the age of 51 in 1917, he was a Boatswain from Liverpool. Can anyone enlighten me, about RE 1NT Bristol.

Thanks

Mike

I assume your RE 1NT is actually RE IWT (or Royal Engineers Inland Waterways Transport). This section of the Corps was "originally formed in December, 1914, to deal with and develop transport on the canals and waterways of France and Belgium". It was later extended to cover similar activities in Mesopotamia, Egypt, Salonika and other theatres.

Regards

Steve

Bristol was one of a number of IWT depots in the UK to which suitable recruits were sent before despatch to operational IWT units. He may have even been trade tested there. Could you publish his name and number?

TR

Bristol was one of a number of IWT depots in the UK to which suitable recruits were sent before despatch to operational IWT units. He may have even been trade tested there. Could you publish his name and number?

TR

Terry

Thanks for your reply, his Name was James Tyrer Caldwell WR 314241. Joined up 23rd August 1917 aged 51. Later to be mixed up with his son of exactly the same name who served in the RND.

Mike

Mike

I assume your RE 1NT is actually RE IWT (or Royal Engineers Inland Waterways Transport). This section of the Corps was "originally formed in December, 1914, to deal with and develop transport on the canals and waterways of France and Belgium". It was later extended to cover similar activities in Mesopotamia, Egypt, Salonika and other theatres.

Regards

Steve

Steve

Thanks for your reply, had got no idea. Will look more closely at his records.

Mike