Remembered Today:

GEA artillery

James A Pratt III

This is from "German Artillery of World War One" by Herbert Jager. The Germans at the start of WW I in GEA had one battery of 6 9cmC/73/91 guns. In April 1915 they recieved some 3.7cm cannon (probably Maxim automatics or possibly old Gruson revolving guns) from the blockade runner Rubens. In March 1916 the blockade runner Dacrehill brought 2 7.5cm mountain howitzers and 1000 rounds per gun and 4 10.5cm light field howitzers also with 1000 rounds per gun. The Germans also used captured British and Portuguese mountain guns. It states that "... the last gun of von Lettow-Vorbeck still able to fire when the ceasefire came on 25 November was a Portuguese mountain gun, which he demanded be counted as one of the guns Germany had to surrender." One hopes this of some use.

In an earlier posting there are pictures of a gun on display at the spot where the Germans surrendered on 25 November 1918. Could this be a Portuguese artillery piece? On the site Konigsbergguns there is a picture of a knocked out "German Pom-Pom" at Bagamoyo that looks like it might be a Gruson revolver gun. In "Tanganykia Guerrilla" J.R. Sibley mentions 10.5 cm howitzers captured by the Nyasaland-Rhodesia Field Force. One on 24 July 1915 at Malangali and another near Iringa in September 1916.

Hello

In an earlier posting there are pictures of a gun on display at the spot where the Germans surrendered on 25 November 1918. Could this be a Portuguese artillery piece?

This is a german C73 Field Gun

regards

Olav

@James A Pratt II…

@Olav

where the Germans surrendered on 25 November 1918

I read, the Germans didn´t surrender; - they laid down their arms.

2i2ac1e.jpg

In an earlier posting there are pictures of a gun on display at the spot . . . Could this be a Portuguese artillery piece?

This picture was send from a friend in RSA. The gun have been captured by the Germans at 1st July 1918

near Kokosani in PEA from the Portuguese and used up to the end of the war by the II. battery / Lieutenant Richard Wenig.

rrqr2a.jpg

It was a 7-cm Schneider-Canet 1906/11 Mountain gun

The gun type have been shown here by an expert.

Holger

I made a blunder on the German artillery in DOA the Axis History Forum in the section on WW I German Colonies ect has a posting "Artillery in the Colonies" that I missed. Just thought you would like to know.