Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Still in service

Cliff. Hobson

Saw on television yesterday news item about the withdrawal of the English Badminton team from the Badminton Championship held in India reason cited, lack of proper security. Noted that one of the Indian Guards was armed with a Mk. 3 S.M.L.E.

Regards Cliff. Hobson

Ime sure it would have been rebarrelled for the 762 mm round if not made specifically for it.

Andy

Really, I thought they were .410 shotguns.

All three are possible.

Indian police and paramilitary organisations still have significant numbers of .303" No1s. ,.303" No4s and 7.62mm 2A/2A1s in service.

I have not see the photos mentioned but there was video footage of a police officer engaging one of the attackers in Mumbai (railway station IIRC) with a No1, and during the recent Indian election almost all of the guards I saw shown were armed with No4 enfields.

The 7.62mm variant (the 2A or 2A1) can be distinguished by the squared off magazine profile. They also have squared off foresight protector ears (although these are not diagnostic as some No1s in .303 are fitted with them) and a different design of buttplate (grey metal and not cupped)

The .410 shotguns are single shot weapons and therefore will have no magazine visible.

CHris

SEE HERE ALSO

India still uses the SMLE, but in .308, and this weapon has a much squared off magazine.. very distinct from the standard .303. Also, Indian mainstream police and prison guards use the SMLE bored out as a shotgun = .410.

Seph

*Edit..

You beat to it Chris!

Here you go - a selection of Indians.

post-14525-1250019612.jpg

A = 1970 SMLE No1 Mk3* in .303 (post war India did not use roman numerals so Mk3* is correct - note produced to great war mkIII* standard in the 1970s!)

B = 1966 7.62mm 2A-1 produced at Ishapore (note square profile magazine and square foresight protector, without provision for piling swivel)

C = 1915 LSA SMLE converted at Ishapore 1941 to .410 shotgun (note absence of Magazine - otherwise externally identical to A)

D = wartime No4 refinished in India in .303 (India never produced the no4 but refinished and used large numbers)

Chris

The photos I've seen have all been SMLE No3's. God bless 'em. No No4's or .410s

John

I worked in Nepal in the late 1990's, up north in Maoist bandit country. The Nepali army troops guarding our site were armed with SMLE's, definitely in .303-inch. I asked and was allowed to examine several, most were Ishapore made of course but there were some Brit as well, I remember one 1917 BSA in particular - the butt had been broken though the wrist and repaired by bolting stout planks to each side.

Thank you for the pic, Chris. It was like meeting a long-lost friend :D

Nice collection you have there. I have a BSA No1 Mk3, 1915 I think, that started out in England, went to Australia, then to India. It must have a dozen cartouches stamped on the barrel and receiver. It is still in good shape and shoots well. That rifle on the right looks like a Savage. The wood on mine is identical.....chris3

• 5 weeks later...
I worked in Nepal in the late 1990's, up north in Maoist bandit country. The Nepali army troops guarding our site were armed with SMLE's, definitely in .303-inch. I asked and was allowed to examine several, most were Ishapore made of course but there were some Brit as well, I remember one 1917 BSA in particular - the butt had been broken though the wrist and repaired by bolting stout planks to each side.

NOT INDIA -- EGYPT

BTW, 10 years ago I made the very interesting Nile cruise from

Luxor to Assuan in a cruise boat: I was surprised to see

that the guards near the locks were equipped with Mk3 SMLE

The boat did not stop and I could not try to discuss with

the guards about their rifle...