Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Edward Phillip Wykes

chrisharley9

A possible non commemorated here - known to have died 26th March 1918 Southampton

His extract from the National Roll Of Honour - does any one know anything about the circumstances of his death

post-4020-1250004533.jpg

After a bit of research & emailing several people it looks like this case is going to go forward as we have found a grave & the DC - death was in service

Chris

Chris,

This is an interesting and curious one. Having looked at every RFC and RAF Casualty Report at Kew, and every Casualty Card at Hendon, and transcribed all of the former and a vast number of the latter you would think Lt EP Wykes would be there somewhere in my records, but he isn't! He isn't in Chris Hobson's book "Airmen Died in the Great War" either, that I can detect, though he appears a couple of times in Flight, but not to record any casualty. Please keep us all advised.

Any way I can help then just ask.

Trevor

Trevor

Terry Denham is obtaining the DC - so will let everyone know the result in due course

Chris

Chris

Some additional biographical details: Edward Philip Wykes, born in 1897, at Brockenhurst, Hampshire, the son of

William Charles & Fanny (Gray) Wykes; birth was registered during the 1st quarter of 1897 at Lymington, Hampshire

and the family's 1901 residence was Sholing, Hampshire. The Death registry index (BMD) lists Edward P. Wykes as

dying during the 1st quarter of 1918, registered at Southampton, age at death 21 years; death registry entry located

in volume 2c, page 107. Note that both the birth index and 1901 Census give his second forename as "Philip." I did

a quick survey of obituaries in "Flight" magazine during the first half of 1918; no entries about Wykes were included.

I hope the foregoing was of some interest.

Regards

Trelawney

Trelawney

my thanks for the extra info

Chris

• 7 months later...

Name: WYKES, EDWARD PHILIP

Initials: E P

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Flying Corps

Date of Death: 26/03/1918

N.B.: Recent research has shown that Second Lieutenant Wykes is buried here.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: 177. C. 210

Cemetery: SOUTHAMPTON OLD CEMETERY

He has been accepted; May He Rest In Peace