Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

276th Siege Battery RGA

caznrog

I have my grandfather's personal diaries written from May 1916 to April 1919 when he served in the RGA.

They are probably my most treasured possessions - if I can help any researcher by referring to specific dates, places etc in relaion to this battery - I would be only too pleased.

Roger Sleath, Guisborough, N. Yorks

Oh lucky you. I so wish I had some information like that about my great uncle who was with the 264 Siege Battery.

I know where he died of wounds and where he's buried - but not where he was wounded.

Don't suppose you could have a quick look to see if there is any mention of the 264 could you?

Best regards :rolleyes:

If there are any names or locations with dates mentioned in the diary, I'm sure some forum members would like to see them.

Thanks

Mark

If there are any names or locations with dates mentioned in the diary, I'm sure some forum members would like to see them.

Thanks

Mark

The diaries are packed with locations and dates as the 4-gun battery was often moved to new positions.

In fact they didm't seem to be any one place for any length of time.

Oh lucky you. I so wish I had some information like that about my great uncle who was with the 264 Siege Battery.

I know where he died of wounds and where he's buried - but not where he was wounded.

Don't suppose you could have a quick look to see if there is any mention of the 264 could you?

Best regards :rolleyes:

Hmm - the diaries cover three years and have hundreds of entries - Ive read them through on several occasions since they were given to me almost 40 years ago but I don't remember any specific mention of other batteries. I will have a look through.

Roger

• 2 months later...
I have my grandfather's personal diaries written from May 1916 to April 1919 when he served in the RGA.

They are probably my most treasured possessions - if I can help any researcher by referring to specific dates, places etc in relaion to this battery - I would be only too pleased.

Hi Roger,

I am trying to help a friend find out more about his fathers service with the 276 Seige Battery during the First World War. Please could you tell me if your grandfathers diary has any entry for Sergeant W. S. Dye who was Gazetted with the Military Medal 16/07/1918. He would like to know how and when he was wounded and what he did to be awarded the Military Medal; although any information or assistance would be welcome.

Many thanks in advance of your response.

Alec

• 3 years later...

Hello Roger

Is it possible to look at your Grandfathers Diary for the 5th/6th December 1917. My relative Bernard CLARKE Gunner 122621 276 Siege Battery received wounds along with others on the 5th and he died from those wounds on the 6th.

It would be great to hear a personal account of the events.

Regards

Malc Knowles

Roger,

My Grandfather was the RSM (Warrant Officer) to 84 Heavy Artillery Brigade RGA. 276 siege bty. was in this group from mid december 1917 until the armistice and subsequently on the Rhine. I would be very interested regarding his experiences during the period, in particular if he makes any mention of the Brigade HQ.

Tony P

• 10 months later...

MY GRANDFATHER WAS CONSCRIPTED 11TH mAY 1917 AND DIED OF WOUNDS 15TH APRIL 1918.I THINK HE MAY HAVE BEEN WOUNDED INTHE BATTLE ON APRIL5TH.DOES THE DIARY HAVE ANY REPORT ON THIS? MY GRANDFATHER LEFT A WIFE AND 3 SMALL CHILDREN AND MY GRAN DID NOT ALAS KEEP THE LETTER SENT BY THE NURSE FROM THE FIELD HOSPITAL.

JANETP