Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cap Badge

Timb

Hi

I have recently received a photo of my wife's GG Grandfather alongside a man in uniform. Could anyone identify the unit?

Mystery-Lokes.jpg

Mystery-Lokes-1.jpg

The only useful clues are:

• that the old gentleman (John Lokes) died on 22/11/1916 a the age of 87!
  • The photo came back from the USA (not sure when). John Lokes' son (George Henry) emigrated to the States in 1878 so it may me be a photo of George Henry's son with his grandfather?
  • To me it looks a British uniform so he may have come back to join up

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

I've tripped up on this one before... I'm told that if it looks like a Royal Marines collar badge (the globe in a laurel wreath, with nothing between the upper points of the wreath) - and it might do here, then it's a Royal Marine labour unit.

No obvious sign of the Light Infantry bugle above the wreath; given his age, a labour unit would make more sense.

Either I'm going blind, or he has a 50% deficiency in the leg department. Wouldn't that make the Labour Dept a bit unlikely?

Bruce

Bruce... he's sitting cross-legged, right over left :D

Either I'm going blind, or he has a 50% deficiency in the leg department. Wouldn't that make the Labour Dept a bit unlikely?

Bruce

Nor would he make a very good Tarzan.

I've tripped up on this one before... I'm told that if it looks like a Royal Marines collar badge (the globe in a laurel wreath, with nothing between the upper points of the wreath) - and it might do here, then it's a Royal Marine labour unit.

Would the Labour Corps imply a man unfit for the front? One of George Henry's sons was deemed unfit for service and on the paperwork he was described as "a poor specimen of a man", although our man looks ok (whatever the leg count)!

If he was in the Royal Marines Labour Corps it opens up some other possibilities - there were two branches in the family, one in Nottingham , the other in Plymouth. Maybe I need to be looking at the south coast branch!

Thanks for your help.

Bruce... he's sitting cross-legged, right over left :D

Oh my, what a silly a*se!

:lol:

Bruce

The Royal Marines Labour Corps... disbanded in 1922, were the forunner of the modern Royal Marines Commando Engineers. They did everything from building bridges for the RND, to establishing camps in the rear areas.

Seph

A couple of points

Most of the RM Labour Corps were older men - they enlisted men over 41 years of age and many were between 50 and 60.

The RMLC badge had a closed laurel wreath with a ship above it. Not sure if this is the case in the photograph - is it possible to make the top of the badge a bit lighter?

Ivor

RMLC...

post-18081-1250006327.jpg

Yes, I thought the RMLC cap badge had the ship up top as well, but was roundly shot down when I queried that the absence of the ship meant that it wasn't RMLC...

Phil,.. during our Corps History lessons, I do seem to recall that the abscence of the ship in reference to the cap badge was mentioned. As far as I can remember it was linked to the RMLC.

However, RMLIVR : Royal Marine Light Infantry Volunteer Reserve.. also wore the basic Globe and Laurel as a cap badge!

Seph

Either the top of the badge is hidden or he belongs to the RM Provost. It was the RM Pro not the RMLC who wore the collar badge. personalli reckon it is hidden and he is not provost.