Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

55035 Pte T Griffiths 2/RWF KIA 23/4/1917 Aged 20.

GarethW

I am new to the forum and trying to find any further info for above(my wife's Great Uncle).His service record has not survived and medal index card gives little info.He is listed on Caernarfon War Memorial as T Griffith(Castle Ditch).RWF Museum think his Reg No suggests enlistment around March/April 1916.We have a photo of him and we have photo of his grave in Wancourt cemetery but little else.

Would like to know when he would have joined up and how long at the front?

Dunn's "The War the Infantry Knew" gives good account of the action of 23/4/17 and mentions a draft of men arriving in July 1916.Also there is an extract(not very complementary!) from Sassoon which mentions some new recruits having just arrived in March 1917.Thanks to the RWF Museum we also have a copy of the battalion war diary covering the action of 23/4/17.I am also in the middle of reading Frank Richards' book.

Any way of finding this out and does anyone know where I can get a copy of David Langley's book on 2nd RWF?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Gareth

Croeso to the Forum

I'm steadily going through material including the newspapers of that era looking for bits and bobs on men from the Arfon area who served. Unfortunately I haven't reached mid 1916 yet although I do tend to jump around the years a bit.

I have nothing further yet to what you have outlined for Thomas other than Soldiers died Great War states he enlisted in Carnarvon and was Killed in Action (as opposed to Died of Wounds or Died) His papers don't seem to have survived.

You will be aware of the fact he is commemorated on the family grave at St Peblig.

There is a William Richard Griffiths, Castel Ditch who enlisted late 1915 and an Evan Griffiths of Castle Ditch who was with the 1st 6th when they went to Gallipoli if you have any siblings for him. I have over 25 Griffiths from town so far.

The other Thomas Griffiths on the memorial was killed a few weeks before him in Gaza.

David Langley is a Forum member and usually spots anything with 2nd RWF in the topic.

Hywyn Williams

Gareth

I have just had a look at his Medal Card and that states he had a previous RWF number of 3048. There is nothing indicating when he went overseas which usually means it was 1916 onwards. He was only 20 when he died. The number seems quite low for a pre war Regular etc so I would say that it looks like a Territorial number. That number in the 6th RWF (the local Territorial Force battalion)would have enlisted 6th or 7th December 1914.

Quite a lot of men moved from the TF to the Regular/New Army. They would be given a new number.

See here for how to interpret the medal Card

http://www.1914-1918.net/grandad/mic.htm

As you can see it usually means that the card is started from when they went overseas. So, in his case he went overseas as 3048?

There was a list of Caernarfon (Town) men serving produced in April 1915. He is not on it. Could mean he was living elsewhere though.

No records seem to have survived under that number either.

Hywyn

Gareth

I have just had a look at his Medal Card and that states he had a previous RWF number of 3048. There is nothing indicating when he went overseas which usually means it was 1916 onwards. He was only 20 when he died. The number seems quite low for a pre war Regular etc so I would say that it looks like a Territorial number. That number in the 6th RWF (the local Territorial Force battalion)would have enlisted 6th or 7th December 1914.

Quite a lot of men moved from the TF to the Regular/New Army. They would be given a new number.

See here for how to interpret the medal Card

http://www.1914-1918.net/grandad/mic.htm

As you can see it usually means that the card is started from when they went overseas. So, in his case he went overseas as 3048?

There was a list of Caernarfon (Town) men serving produced in April 1915. He is not on it. Could mean he was living elsewhere though.

No records seem to have survived under that number either.

Hywyn

Hywyn,

Thanks for your response & searching for info.

We did manage to find the grave at Llanbeblig last summer(lucky to find it in the cemetery's current state though).There also seems to be a bit of confusion between Griffith & Griffiths.

He was the eldest son and as far as we know the only son to have served.From what we know his younger brothers were probably too young to be called up before the end of the war.

As you say info is a little sparse but if you do manage to dig anything further please let us know.

We also have another Great Uncle of my wife on the other side of the family who served & died with 6th RWF and my Great Grandfather served with The Labour Corps (Cheshire Regt) although he was also listed as RWF.We have done some research to date but have various questions in respect of their service but did not want to have too much going on at once!!

Is it better to start seperate posts for these?

Gareth

Gareth

I have sent you an email via the Forum (I don't get to see the address). I'll see if I have anything to add and then possibly start other posts for them?

The Griffith/Griffiths bit seems interchangeable with many families I find. Depends on who records it where I suppose.

Of the 36 killed that day with Thomas 13 have a number in 55XXX series. Of those 10 had previous numbers and all bar Thomas and one other were Montgomery Yeomanry men so it looks like a batch transfer in at some point. Maybe Grumpy will have a view on when this happened when he spots the post. It would help you with knowing what parts of TWTIK etc are applicable.

Hywyn

Hywyn

Hywyn,

Thanks.

Have sent seperate e-mail with the other stuff.Have just finished Frank Richard's book and enjoyed it although unfortunately he only gives a brief account of the action that Thomas Griffiths was involved in.