Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

711 ASC History of..Request

TEW

Forum

Have discovered I have a distant relative (Frederick Alfred Bracey) who served with 711 MT ASC at Thetford as an Officer from 29/6/1916. He entered the theatre of war 12/9/1916, 3 days before Flers-Courcelette. Having looked at some old posts/replies by Delta & Simon Jones, it seems that 711 MT ASC supplied drivers for tank battalions. So I wondered if this relative could have anything to do with any part of Flers-Courcelette given his date of arriving in France. Would the "Historical Account of 711 MT Company ASC Attached to 'Tanks' in France" from TNA WO95/116 shed any light on where 711 ASC were for this period?

The first reference to FA Bracey being tank orientated is 31/10/1916 when sent home with flu, he is then described as 'ASC (HSMGC)'. His later history seems to be that his flu persisted through November and he next crops up at Chatham with 776 MT Coy, then later at Bovington which speaks for itself in Tank terms. I have one official document re medicals (Dec 1916) stating 'Wareham, SMO Dorset Training Area Attached MGC/H, I Battn Bovington' and his later Protection Certificate refers to 'Attached Tank Corps. Unit-Central Schools TC', London Gazette has him as Act/Major Tank Corps Instructor from Aug 1917.

Just really wanted to know if he could have been involved in the training of tank drivers while at Thetford Summer 1916. Whether he went to France to assist moving tanks or drivers/crews for Flers-Courcelette and what 776 Coy. at Chatham were up to November 1916. As far as I can work out from his service record he only served in France for these 6 weeks then was eventually passed fit for Home Service.

Thanks in advance

TEW

Away from my sources at present - will send you a PM when I get to them

Stephen

Have checked my sources but no mention of Bracey.

His arrival at Thetford is in line with the timetable for the training on tanks.

C and D Coys were in France by 7th Sep but there is no reason why some elements of 711 arrived later; certainly the original level of ASC support was found to be insufficient

Delta

Thanks for the response, grateful for any info on Bracey's involvement or lack of.

Thanks

TEW (Tim)

711 not only provided the tank drivers - they also provided the repair support

S

post-48147-1250455367.jpg

Hopefully this will work - details of 711 ASC - page 309 army Service Corps 1902-18 by Michael Young.

711 MT Company are under Eastern Forces Troops WO 95 4454