Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

G Grandad with Mechanical Transport ASC but which bit?

D1zibl0nde

Hi everyone, this is my first post, I wonder if you can help?

I am trying to record the military history of my Great Grandfather. I have looked at the 1918 Absent Voters List and at his Medal Cards and a list in the London Gazette and I am a little confused over which company he belonged to. The records I have found state the following:

1918 Absent Voters List

Sydenham, Thomas Frederic 131884, Dvr., 8th Canad. Sqd., M.T., A.S.C.

1008 SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 18 JANUARY, 1919

M2/131884 Sjt. Sydenham, T., 402 Coy. (Birmingham).

Medal Card for British/Victory Medals

Corps = ASC Regtl. No: = M2/131884 Roll = RASC/101B90 Page = 9094

Medal Card for Meritorious Service

Corps = ASC Regimental No = M2/131884

I can see he was a driver then a sgt for the Mechanical Transport section of the Army Service Corps. I have also been able to look up (on this excellent site) 402 Coy and discover a little about this, including the fact that they served in France, which is backed up by a stamp on his Meritorious Service Medal card.

My question is more about the Absent Voters List... what is the 8th Canad. Sqd.? The family rumour always stated he served for a Canadian Army Corps, does this confirm it? Are the 8th Canad. Sqd the same as 402 Coy which is mentioned in the London Gazette? Was he part of the British Army or the Canadian Army? :huh:

Also I believe he stayed in the army after war rising to the rank of Sgt Mjr...would I approach the British Army if I wanted a copy of his records and do they charge for this?

Thank you very much in advance for any light you can shed on this.

Sarah

Sarah,

Welcome to the forum. I cannot help re the ASC and the Canadians, but if he continued to serve after the war, there is a chance his records are still with the MOD. You can obtain the record if you are the closest next of kin, and it costs, and takes some months to obtain, but would be well worth the effort.

Try either Googling for the address/contact info (I believe it is via Glasgow these days) or search on this forum, since the topic has been aired quite often.

Sarah,

Welcome to the forum. I cannot help re the ASC and the Canadians, but if he continued to serve after the war, there is a chance his records are still with the MOD. You can obtain the record if you are the closest next of kin, and it costs, and takes some months to obtain, but would be well worth the effort.

Try either Googling for the address/contact info (I believe it is via Glasgow these days) or search on this forum, since the topic has been aired quite often.

Thanks Ian I'll do that. Fingers crossed I can get to the bottom of all these puzzles!

Do you know if it's possible to research when he might have left the army or do I need to wait till I get hold of his service records?

You would need his records for the info on when he left the army. There is nothing online searchable for servicemen beyond the era of WW1.

Hello Sarah

402 Company ASC were attached to the Canadian Corps to provide transport for their heavy artillery.

Have another look at "Sq" - could it be "SB"? If so, it might indicate that he was attached to 8th Canadian Siege Battery.

Ron

Hello Sarah

402 Company ASC were attached to the Canadian Corps to provide transport for their heavy artillery.

Have another look at "Sq" - could it be "SB"? If so, it might indicate that he was attached to 8th Canadian Siege Battery.

Ron

Hi Ron

That's really helpful, thanks.

I had another look, it's a typed list and definately says Sqd. though. :huh: I can't find anything that matches that term "8th Canad. Sqd." exactly on my searches so I may never know the only thing I've found that's close is the 8th Canadian Hussars and their website says

"The Regiment fought as a Hussar Squadron of the 6th Canadian Mounted Rifles in France during World War 1"

Thanks again

Sarah

Hmm have just recieved my grandad's birth cert in the post (he was born in jan 1920) which states that Thomas (his father) was a chauffer! Therefore, contrary to family belief Thomas must have left the army at the end of the war.

A search on TNA didn't retrieve his army records so do you think they were destroyed in the bomb in WW2? Is there any way for me to find out?

S

Hi Ron

That's really helpful, thanks.

I had another look, it's a typed list and definately says Sqd. though. :huh: I can't find anything that matches that term "8th Canad. Sqd." exactly on my searches so I may never know the only thing I've found that's close is the 8th Canadian Hussars and their website says

"The Regiment fought as a Hussar Squadron of the 6th Canadian Mounted Rifles in France during World War 1"

Thanks again

Sarah

Hello,

You may want to look at the war diaries for the Canada Corps' M.T. units.

http://data4.collectionscanada.gc.ca/netac...amp;r=0&f=S

The war diaries are really interesting although not always easy to read with all the abbrieviations! Any ideas what A.F.A.B.P. might stand for? Here it is in context...

M.T. Units in Canadian Corps: [a long list including] A.F.A.B.P. Sections: 8th Canadian, 52nd., 26th., 293rd., 282nd., and 126th. Imperial; 8th M.A.C.

Cheers

S

The first part may be "Advanced Field Ambulance Park". But they are usually (by 1918) Sections, not B*