Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal card ww1

jackie144

Hi this is my first post what a wonderful site can anyone explain to me what all the info says on my uncles medal card his name was Malcolm Cameron from Glasgow he was in the 12th highland light infantry he was a private Reg No 31408 say's on the card victory British star what looks like an H104 B 14 page 1030 an on Remarks Retd (992.R.R.1923) 8362/adt NR1/513 dt 10.1 . something 4

E/18 next No not sure if its a 3 but after that its 609/3

at the bottom of the page it has E

_________

3 8362/adt

I know he was killed in action in france 19th oct 1916 aged 20 and is buried in warlincourt reff 111 f.31 but I dont know how he died if anyone has any info am trying to find out as much as I can he also lost 2 brothers in ww1 but so far I cant find there first names to try and find them

many thanks.

Hi

Welcome to the forum. If you click on the Long, Long Trail top left you will find loads of relevant information. Then post away to your heart's content and lots of pals will be willing to help.

Regards Barry

Hi

Welcome to the forum. If you click on the Long, Long Trail top left you will find loads of relevant information. Then post away to your heart's content and lots of pals will be willing to help.

Regards Barry

thanks Barry

Hi again

The details on the MIC show his brother Alex sent for his medals to be posted to his mother Mrs. M Cameron at the same address 441 Gallowgate, Glasgow. Should be pretty simple to trace the family on the censuses.

The "H104 B 14 page 1030" reference refers to the Medal Roll ledgers held at the National Archives. The British War Medal and Victory medal were issued as a "pair" to men who saw service in an active theatre of war. If a man saw service overseas before 31-12-1915 he would also qualify for a 1914 Star or 1914-15 Star depending on the date (mainly).

Since you don't mention a "Star" reference this probably means he went overseas after 1-1-1916.

All the wiring in the Remarks box seems to refer to the return of the medals to the War Office. This was usually for some sort of amendment to the man's name or number. These sort of references are usually to correspondence, that it is believed has long since been disposed of.

It is likely, bearing in mind that Malcolm Cameron went overseas after 1-1-1916 and his death later that same year, that he served all his overseas time with the 12th Highland Light Infantry. However, this should be confirmed by reference to the medal roll. These books are not online, but held at the National Archives at Kew.

Steve.

The "H104 B 14 page 1030" reference refers to the Medal Roll ledgers held at the National Archives. The British War Medal and Victory medal were issued as a "pair" to men who saw service in an active theatre of war. If a man saw service overseas before 31-12-1915 he would also qualify for a 1914 Star or 1914-15 Star depending on the date (mainly).

Since you don't mention a "Star" reference this probably means he went overseas after 1-1-1916.

All the wiring in the Remarks box seems to refer to the return of the medals to the War Office. This was usually for some sort of amendment to the man's name or number. These sort of references are usually to correspondence, that it is believed has long since been disposed of.

It is likely, bearing in mind that Malcolm Cameron went overseas after 1-1-1916 and his death later that same year, that he served all his overseas time with the 12th Highland Light Infantry. However, this should be confirmed by reference to the medal roll. These books are not online, but held at the National Archives at Kew.

Steve.

Thanks for all your help boys soz it took so long to get back to yous I was on the long trail

He was awarded, posthumously, the Victory Medal and the British War Medal. As Stebie mentioned, he was not in active overseas service in '14 or '15. The correspondence very likely related to attempts to get the medals to next of kin. I tried but regret that I can't find a Service Record for him (it's late over here B) ) - but that's not to say that others Pals won't do better. Good luck.