Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Scots Hackle

Tony Edwards

Did the Royal Scots wear hackles, never seen any pictures of them? Although happy to be proved wrong.

Rob

Rob,

If you access the 8th Royal Scots section of John Duncan's web-site-Newbattle at War you'll find a WW1 recruiting Post Card depicting Royal Scots in dress uniform,complete with Hackle.

George

Is Barry (The Inspector) referring to the modern regiment?

I don't think the RS wore hackles in their bonnet badges in the GW, though I guess the full dress uniforms may well have had them.

Steven,

The Post Card I refer to is a colour illustration of Royal Scots in dress uniform in 1914.

Also on John's Web-site you will find black and white photos of members of the Regiment in uniform,before and during the War.

George

Hi

White (2 Scots, 3 red, 4 blue 5 Green.) BUT see "scotsatwar.org.uk"

Regards Barry

Barry

Thanks.Do the numbers refer to different battalions ?

Regards

Tony Edwards

Hi Tony Edwards

I had not noticed your posts previously, for which I apologise, but I can see the potential for confusion here!

We should be OK as long as I keep to using TonyE as my sign-on.

Regards

TonyE

(Tony Edwards)

Tony Edwards,

I don't think the Hackle varied according to Battalion.

If you look at the Web-site I've referred you to-Newbattle at War-you can gain an approximation of the style and colour of the Hackle worn with the dress uniform circa 1914.

Also on John Duncan's web-site,under the Boy Soldier section you will see a photo of a Corporal of the 8th Battalion, relaxing on exercise prior to or in the immediate months of the War,wearing a Hackle.As the photo is in black and white,its colour is difficult to identify but it does bear similarity to the one shown in the colour drawing.

If you access the Royal Scots official web-site you will find an enquiry section.Possibly the Regiment hold the definitive answer?

George

In full dress C1914, the Royal Scots wore the Blackcock feather in there Kilmarnock Bonnet. I am sure that pre RRS amalgamations they continued to wear the Blackcock feather in their Glengarry's.

I can take a photo of a period Blackcock and post it here if anyone wants to see one.

Regards,

Stewart