Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SBR repair.

rayoung74

I recently purchaesd a SBR and after some work i have replaced the elastic straps that hold the mask on the face. The hose is in good condition. However the mask itself has become somewhat stiff and where it has been stored laying down it has developed a crease. The question i have is this...

Is there anyway tio restore a degree of or total flexibility to the rubber of the mask.

Also the paper instructions that were glued to the cannister have come away, would simple white PVA glue be OK to use to reattach them?

Thanks in advance

R

I've heard to good results with Lexol and Armor-All. In my personal experience, if it's dried out, you're out of luck.

I've heard to good results with Lexol and Armor-All. In my personal experience, if it's dried out, you're out of luck.

OK where a quick google tells me about lexol what is armor-all please?

I have never heard of any way of permanently restoring flexibility to rubber once it has hardened. However, you can do it on a temporary basis. Boil up a kettle and hold the SBR facepiece over the spout, and in a minute or so the rubber will soften. You can then mould it to whatever shape you want. Don't take too long over it though, as in another couple of minutes the rubber will cool down, and the mask will harden once again. I wouldn’t advise trying this more than once, as I don’t know what permanent molecular changes it may cause to the rubber, but I have successfully treated a couple of masks this way with no obvious ill effects.

OK where a quick google tells me about lexol what is armor-all please?

Armor-All is a treatment for rubber, vinyl, and plastic. It's usually used to make those parts of a car shine. It will help keep a vinyl dash board from cracking.

http://www.armorall.com/

Ray: I am engaged in a similar restoration job. I would be interested in the materials and technique you used to replace the elastic.

Thanks

Ray: I am engaged in a similar restoration job. I would be interested in the materials and technique you used to replace the elastic.

Thanks

I was a bit of a vandal i must admit. I un-picked the stitching on the material piece where the six pieces of elastic end, bought about 36" of black elastic of the same width pinned them in place then stitched it back together again. I think i was quite lucky as the material is in quite good condition and not badly rotted. The original elastic however was disintegrating into black powder. Hope this helps. If you wnt i can post a piccy of the final result.

Feeling a bit of a twit ATM the haversack for the Respirator and the respirator are marked US so possibly M1917?

The mask is also marked Lot 257 EA what does this mean?

Thanks in advance.

R

Finally got it sussed here are a couple of photo's

post-29816-1250687481.jpg

post-29816-1250687571.jpgand the lot number i mentioned.

I don't know what that is, but it certainly isn't an SBR - somebody will know for certain, but that looks more like an early post-war mask (or possibly one of the types developed late-war but not used in large numbers until after the war).

For comparison:

The British versions of the SBR:

http://www.gasmasks.net/database/uk/uk-003d.htm

The American version (the CEM SBR):

http://209.85.135.132/search?q=cache:9yx74...nk&ie=UTF-8

Looks like an Akron Tissot mask

USA-Mi13.gif

http://gasmasklexikon.com/Page/USA-Mil-Infantrie.htm

Edit - looks similar to a lot of the Tissot types, including what became the M1A1 then M1A2 service mask

http://www.gasmasks.net/database/usa1/usa1.htm

Double checked using the link and the mask is definitely an Arkon Tissot type circa 1918. Bearing the red seal on the faceplate. On the upside my mask is apparently quite rare because the rubber hasn't completely hardened, so it's not all bad news. Definitely well worth the £20.00 off e-bay.

R

Thanks for the info and the pictures.

Best Regards,

Vince

Double checked using the link and the mask is definitely an Arkon Tissot type circa 1918. Bearing the red seal on the faceplate. On the upside my mask is apparently quite rare because the rubber hasn't completely hardened, so it's not all bad news. Definitely well worth the £20.00 off e-bay.

R