Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New badge booklet

Muerrisch

Mine received - excellent, many thanks David!

Just a quick note of thanks, I received my copy this morning. I can't wait to read it, but what I have read so far is excellent!

Very many thanks,

Stewart

No orders rcd today Monday.

New ones will be held against the resumption of normal mail and cheques not cashed.

I have an extra 20 copies to hand now.

Grumpy,

Any chance of a sample page? The index perhaps?

Cheers,

Hendo

Good idea, but there is no index, the booklet is slender but bulging with facts and not much analysis!

Contents:

intro, complete tabulation of all official badges for skill at arms, appointment, instructor and prize for the entire war, plus colour illustrations almost all of these 50, plus b&w ills. many of them 'in wear', plus complete copy relevant parts Clothing Regs 1914, plus complete copy relevant parts Priced Vocab badges 1913.

All in a comb bound A4 booklet on good quality paper, transparent front, dark green back.

Herewith Intro.

The Badges of the British Regular Army in the Great War signifying skill-at-arms, appointment, instructor and prize.

In 1984, some 25 years ago, I wrote and published, with Denis Edwards, British Army Proficiency Badges. Most of the badges illustrated were from Denis’s magnificent collection, now reposing in the National Army Museum. Since then the rise in interest in the Great War period has led to an upsurge in demand for information on badges specifically of that period, and it is to address this need that this little booklet is offered. I make no apology for the unconventional ‘landscape’ format: it suits the material better than the conventional ‘portrait’.

These notes are written on the Regular Army, nevertheless there was a substantial commonality of badges with the Special Reserve and the Territorial Force. I have also confined myself mostly to the badges worn in temperate zones: the Indian Pattern and khaki drill are quite another story, where a requirement for easy removal of badges for frequent ‘dhobying’, and parsimony, dictated designs to some extent. The entries in Clothing Regulations (CR) describe the badges worn on the arms of Other Ranks Service Dress (SD) without going into much detail. There was a major redesign programme in 1895/6 which virtually abolished worsted designs for lesser grades of badge. Almost all the first tranche of badges for SD were to be made of worsted. Hitherto, before the introduction of SD in 1902, the majority of badges were on a finer cloth, either scarlet, dark blue or Rifle Green (with a few exceptions) and worked in gold or silver coloured threads, or silk. Worsted (WD) had only been used for the least prestigious of each class of badge, such as the worsted crossed rifles of the marksman, as opposed to the richly worked best shot of company, best shot of senior non commissioned officers (Senior NCOs) and the like. More detailed descriptions are to be found in the Priced Vocabulary of Clothing and Necessaries (PVCN) and the ledgers of the Royal Army Clothing Department (RACD). The ultimate authority regarding a badge design was a Sealed Pattern for each, as per example here. These patterns are now dispersed into various Museums and into private hands, and show what should have been worn, not necessarily what was. The soldier is as vain as any civilian, so tailors and badge makers found a ready market for ‘versions’ which the RSM and the Adjutant might or might not allow. In 1905 instructions were published that ‘metal badges are to be substituted for embroidered ones worn on the arm, both in full dress and service dress, except for those for Skill at Arms and colour-sergeants. This was not fully implemented, and certainly not for full dress, but for the war period, by and large, appointment badges were made officially in gilding metal (GM), and skill and prize badges in worsted. The various ‘crossed’ (X) insignia were rather unhandy in crowded trenches, showing an inclination to catch on obstructions, but, on the other hand, a nice GM version of a badge sanctioned in worsted (such as the machine gunners MG in wreath), when ‘brassoed’, looked fine when on leave. There is anecdotal evidence that machine gunners tended to be given short shrift if captured, and the GM badges were by their nature much more easily discarded if capture was imminent.

The ledgers of the RACD at the National Archives give, in a poorly indexed manner, the dates and descriptions of the introduction or obsolescence of badges. They show that even before khaki drab SD was introduced in 1902 much thought and effort had been put into the design and manufacture of badges in appropriate material for the new combat uniform. These ‘first generation’ SD badges were, with almost no exception, designed to be made in worsted. Notable exceptions were the GM First Class Scout badge of appointment and its junior partner, which were huge ‘brass’ badges on a black felt background. Worsted badges were not cheap to make, involving skilled labour, and the army required large numbers ab initio in 1902, and a steady stream of replacements thereafter. For example, one battalion (and there were about 100 such regular infantry battalions in the army) would need the following, in addition to the many other varieties of badge: One badge for ‘best shot senior NCOs’, one ‘best shot of junior ranks’, half a dozen or so of ‘senior NCOs of best shooting company’, eight ‘best shot of company’ and a variable but large number of ‘marksman’ badges. These were all shot for annually and were in theory transferable, but, being handsome artefacts, it is a good probability that many were not handed in. All this in addition to the much more expensive badges for full dress. The Priced Vocabulary (PVCN) of 1907 gives the price of the least expensive of SD badges as 3 ¾ d, one third of a private soldier’s daily pay of 1/-, and the most expensive was almost exactly the day’s pay, 11 ½ d. On the subject of money, by the time of the Great War only a few arm badges attracted extra pay [such as the drummer, bugler, piper and trumpeter], because the old system whereby a soldier was paid a very low basic wage and then supplemented it as best he could by acquiring skills or extra responsibility was phased out c. 1906 when ‘Service Pay’ was replaced by ‘Proficiency Pay’, so that the latter required, inter alia, the ability to fire a rifle accurately, or perform the various essential tasks of the relevant arm of service.

It is not surprising that a cheaper alternative badge material, easily obtainable in peacetime, was adopted, that of gilding metal. These badges were introduced piecemeal following the 1905 order in 1906 and 1907, and were one- third to one- half the cost of the worsted equivalent. Issued with a backing plate and split-pin fastening, GM versions were easier to attach and remove, albeit requiring holes to be made in the SD jacket. A further complication arose during the war, in that the metals and the labour to work them became a scarce commodity

Regulations were usually specific about where each badge was to be worn, and rather often flouted. Skill at Arms badges were to be worn on the lower left sleeve, above any Good Conduct badges. Prize badges were the Royal Artillery [and, in some cases, Royal Engineer] equivalent of the skill badges. If a skill badge was worn to signify Instructor status, it was to be worn on the right sleeve above any rank badges. Also on the right sleeve, usually upper arm, were Appointment badges. The Judging Distance star, although clearly a skill, was worn on the lower right cuff, as were the wartime introduced Overseas Service Chevrons, red for 1914, blue for each subsequent year, the first awarded as soon as a man stepped ashore and annually thereafter. A badge to signify each occasion of wounding (not each wound) was worn in the lowest position on the left sleeve: although it was officially of gold Russia braid, GM versions were quickly taken into use, privately purchased.

The illustrations are of badges in my collection, Those marked with a disc are not illustrated in the material specified either for Service Dress or the obsolescent Full Dress, but are believed to be of the correct design and either of the correct period or shortly thereafter. The provenance of arm badges is difficult to determine unless they are actually attached to, or taken from, authentic period uniforms. What I can say is that all those illustrated were collected pre-1984, and therefore probably free of the likelihood of being modern copies.

The Good Conduct Badge, a chevron worn point-up in ranking lace on the lower left sleeve, appears in many photographs. In our period it could be gained one badge each for 2, 5, 12, 18, 23, and 28 years. An Army Order of 1916 extended the award to soldiers of the Territorial Force. No cash bonus attached to the badge. The wartime introductions of the Wounded Badge and the Overseas Service Badge can be used to date photographs with a ‘not before’ certainty, as indeed can the ribbons of the various campaign medals.

Assuming the reader is knowledgeable, I have freely used abbreviations such as Cpl, tpt, Instr, Hse Cavy and JNCO. The captions are minimal and restricted to pointing out the non-obvious. Regarding Copyright: I claim Copyright for the coloured individual badge plates and for the text, but for nothing else. If I have infringed Copyright inadvertently by using images freely available in hyperspace, I crave forgiveness, as such Copyright has proved very difficult to establish. This publication is essentially a small print run, a private research compilation for distribution among fellow-researchers, and is in no way a commercial venture. I wish to thank many contributors to the Great War Forum for their help and encouragement, nevertheless any errors are mine and I welcome suggested corrections to: langleybaston@aol.com.

four more letters received today Friday about to be despatched:

Messrs Weller, McDonald, Sutton, Coupar.

Many thanks to all.

Thankin' you.

Arrived today and much appreciated.

Chris

Thanks to all customers: I have PM'd the five who have ordered and whose cheques have arrived. Will administer when the post returns to what passes for normal!

Certainly on Sunday: I had an extra 20 printed. Also my 'Regimental Numbering' and several of my other humble efforts.

Look forward to meeting you.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE.

The Postal strike goes on ..... my incoming has dried up, dry as the proverbial witch's .......

so I am still holding on to 7 uncashed cheques and 7 copies booklets.

Away now until Sunday: if anyone wants me to go ahead and chance it, please PM for me to action on Monday.

David

Thank you, David. I look forward to a good read.

Incidentally, I took some photographs of uniforms in the Chester Regt. museum last weekend, specifically uniforms with a variety of insignia displayed. I will post them on an appropriate thread or e-mail them to you if they might be of use for future reference.

Ken

Hi There, I have 3 magazines in mint condition, entitled The O T C and Naval Cadets Magazine

August 1917, February 1918, March 1918

I can send an email of the contents of each magazine which you might find interesthing.

There are photos of Soldiers in uniform and advestiments re equipment.Also HRH Prince Henry in Uniform

Rdgs Gerry

Thank you, David. I look forward to a good read.

Incidentally, I took some photographs of uniforms in the Chester Regt. museum last weekend, specifically uniforms with a variety of insignia displayed. I will post them on an appropriate thread or e-mail them to you if they might be of use for future reference.

Ken

Thanks in advance!

Hi There, I have 3 magazines in mint condition, entitled The O T C and Naval Cadets Magazine

August 1917, February 1918, March 1918

I can send an email of the contents of each magazine which you might find interesthing.

There are photos of Soldiers in uniform and advestiments re equipment.Also HRH Prince Henry in Uniform

Rdgs Gerry

I will PM

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you, David> Order (both books) arrived safely in Canada. Much interesting reading. Kind regards, Antony