Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New badge booklet

Muerrisch

I am short of good photos of a few badges 'in wear' for the booklet.

I have made specific requests of a few members, but time is a bit pressing so am spreading the net a bit wider.

Needed are:

Stringed bugle upper right arm for bugler LI or Rifles

Distance judging star, lower right cuff, five poits. Note: this badge for REGULAR soldiers is identical to the efficiency star for TF, so the wearer has to be a regular.

QI in wreath worn variously!!!! : necessarily RE soldier.

L wreath upper right arm: necessarily RA or MGC Heavy.

Reasonable quality shots would be much appreciated.

Please have a grovel around if you have a moment.

I am short of good photos of a few badges 'in wear' for the booklet.

Needed are:

Stringed bugle upper right arm for bugler LI or Rifles

Reasonable quality shots would be much appreciated.

David,

This studio portrait of Bugler Wheeler, KRRC is my best offering:

post-20192-1254057471.jpg

The image was harvested from a fleaBay listing, which I did not win, so the quality is poor.

TBH if I didn't know he was a Bugler, I'd be hard pressed to confirm it is the bugler trade badge <_<

Cheers,

Mark

The image was harvested from a fleaBay listing, which I did not win, so the quality is poor.

Many thanks, I will try to enhance.

Is there any point trying to enhance the picture, as I would suspect the copyright for it would lie with whoever won the auction for the original, and might not be happy to find out it was being used in a publication without their permission?

Is there any point trying to enhance the picture, as I would suspect the copyright for it would lie with whoever won the auction for the original, and might not be happy to find out it was being used in a publication without their permission?

Andrew,

I don't think you become the owner of the copyright to a picture when you buy a photograph any more than you become the owner of the copyright to a book when you buy a book.

It's David's call though.

Unfortunately I did not make a note of who won the lot.

Cheers,

Mark

The copyright belongs to whoever took the photograph until 75 years after their death, unless they have signed away their intellectual copyright which I suspect didn't happen in this case!

You can buy the article (the photo) but not the copyright.

The chance of establishing copyright is negligible. I am not a lawyer but any subsequent claim to copyright would

a. be extremely hard to establish,

b. probably a claim would be regarded as trivial.

Every time any photo appears in cyberspace someone's copyright is probably infringed.

Lif is too short!

Hi Grump,

Claims of copyright are often proven with old photos. I have come across this a few times with museums I have worked with.

However, there are established values for images and this varies depending on usage, ie for TV, books, etc and then depends on whether the programme or book is to be shown/published in the UK or worldwide, whether the print run is limited, blah, blah, blah...

What is certainly true is that any pictures you will be using would have a very small copyright fee attributable to them and, therefore, would always cost the copyright owner more than they would ever be awarded if they brought you to court.

As you say, life is too short...

Taff

Thanks Taff. My assumption is that anyone who has answered my call for help, or anyone who has posted images hereon, was of the belief that copying them was not infringeing a third party's copyright.

As for print run, how does less than 50 grab? And not a profit-making enterprise at that.

And I am still short of a few images!

A completely honourable project which no right-minded person could possible quibble about!

I will see what images I have for you and would definitely like a copy.

With best wishes,

Taff

Now printing.

also extra copies 'Numbering' to clear backlog. Cost of 'Numbering' has to go up: postage and binding dearer than when first published.

Booklet back from printer, I got a better deal than expected because I ordered at same time as a big reprint of my 'Numbering' and can pass on the saving. Cost £9 incl. UK 1st class.

All those who have expressed interest or made firm order should have had a PM from me by now.

There are only 10 copies remaining at this price, and these I shall take to my WFA talk to flog.

All those who have expressed interest or made firm order should have had a PM from me by now.

quote]

If you would be so good as to empty your inbox I will reply.

Dear David

I have replied, but your inbox is full.

Bruce

I didn't bother with a PM. The cheque's in the post.