Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New badge booklet

Muerrisch

As a result of two things:

the ISPY thread, and

being fool enough to agree to talk to Cambs WFA on the subject,

I have done a lot of work collating and copying all my sources, and rearranging my collection.

Working title is:

The various arm badges worn by Other Ranks in the Great War [but I shall improve on that!]

My sources, most of which will be included as exact replicas, are Clothing Regs, Priced Vocab Clothing, the RACD ledgers, Army Orders.. Plus pages from my notebooks.

The main work will be a tabulation covering all the 50-odd badges from 1898 to 1920, and photo plates of every badge in my collection, which is almost all. The history of the rank badges will be included.

Now we come to the crunch. I want to illustrate most if not all of the badges 'in wear', and my own library is not up to it. Ideally, I would like photos of men with with more than one badge, for economy of space. For example, a corporal with Overseas service chevrons, wound badges, marksman badge, signaller badge, MG badge .......

So, help please, best by email attachment because I want top quality.

I shall be away from 9th to 28th August, so don't worry if I fail to reply.

Some of the material in a simplified form will be collated with the ISPY work.

pre-war, but an example!post-894-1249644635.jpg

a decode: Cpl, cavalry: best shot Cpls and junior ranks, lance prize, swordsmanship prize, best shot in squadron

I take it you are looking for originals rather than pointers to other publications.

Yes, I do not want to plagiarise from the stacks of sources on my shelves.

Yes, I do not want to plagiarise from the stacks of sources on my shelves.

nasty stutter developing

Unable to be of service. Very few photographs of my relatives in my possesion and those that I do have show either no badges at all, or just the corner of one in one instance.

Pte Joe Richardson in India - KIA October 1914 with R I Rifles

post-1582-1249646216.jpg

RFA troop with various badges on display

post-1582-1249646550.jpg

Hello Grumpy !

It is good to hear about this new venture and I wish you all the best with it. Some time ago I sent you a scan of a Great War period Australian Pipe Band with relevant badges. If you are thinking of including it (or sections from it) in the booklet, and you need another copy, just drop me a pm with your email address.

Regards

Wayne

Wayne, Yes I was! By the way, I now have another piper badge photo taken at a homecoming end of the war. Seems the badge was around in small numbers, but not official.

I will PM.

Thanks to all above, probably best for me to get in touch with the offerers end August.

Hi Grumpy, I have a few more examples that I didn't use in my Schiffer book, can you list which ones you are missing and I'll see what I have.

By the way, we were talking on the forum before about the use of the blue/white trench mortar cloth badge, your previous book indicates this badge existed, which I and others disputed. Were you ever able to substantiate this as I would be very interested to find out. I have several cloth TM badge variations and have never seen a blue/white one, apart from that illustrated by a drawing in your book. I think it cropped up in a previous post that when examining B&W photos the colour 'blue' can look like white or khaki colour. Interestingly some reproduction 'artists' have copied this template and now advertising this type of TM badge. I would love to be proven wrong or right .... any new info on the subject?

regards, Steve

• 1 month later...

Nearly ready: it has to be ready for 25th Oct as I am giving a talk!

Contents:

Intro. and historical notes on materials.

Tabulation all Great War relevant badges traced through their lives from 1898 to 1918 including war introductions and a note of purpose, material and where worn

Coloured photo plates almost all the above [some badges I do not have, and all are from my collection 'frozen' since 1984 so kosher]

Copy badge section Clothing Regs 1914 from original

Copy badge section PVCN 1913 from original

Notes from R Army Clothing Dept ledger.

Many photos 'in wear, most not seen light of day, some culled from GWF.

A4 format, c. 30 pages, comb bound.

I regret cannot be cheap because colour print in small quantities pushes price up, and I am only producing in small batches to demand, perhaps 50 copies in all.

My estimate at cost is about £12 include 1st class p&p UK, but will try for less.

Firm interests please, by PM only, and I will update on final cost when I see printer.

This will not be offered except at my WFA talk and to GWF members ...... too much hassle which I do not need!

Please take this as confirmation of a firm, nay,rigid interest in your publication!

Bruce

I wouldn't say rigid: "definite" will do for me.

It will be a definite for me too.

Phil