Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A2932 L Cpl F C White 7th KRRC

Anthony Bagshaw

Hi Guys,

i have been trying to find this lad on the 1901 without any success- there isn't anyone who seems to fit the bill. Can anyone else not find him?

Name: WHITE, FREDERICK CHRISTOPHER

Initials: F C

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: King's Royal Rifle Corps

Unit Text: 7th Bn.

Date of Death: 30/07/1915

Service No: A/2932

Additional information: Son of John and Alice White, of 12, Little King, Camden Town, London.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: IX. D. 37.

Cemetery: YPRES RESERVOIR CEMETERY

The dates are a year out, but I think it may be the one in St Pancras.

There's a John White marrying Alice Ashman in June Quarter 1891 in St Pancras.

Then there are only 2 Frederick Christopher Whites on Free BMD. One is born March Quarter 1895 in Pancras. (Other is in Liverpool).

Then there's a Frederick C White, aged 6 on the 1901 census, in St Pancras.

Of course, that would make him 20 not 19.

Thank you very much- that seems to be the right chap although his parents details are wrong

This is what threw me off when i had a look initially. It has to be him doesn't it?

Thanks again

The dates are a year out, but I think it may be the one in St Pancras.

There's a John White marrying Alice Ashman in June Quarter 1891 in St Pancras.

Then there are only 2 Frederick Christopher Whites on Free BMD. One is born March Quarter 1895 in Pancras. (Other is in Liverpool).

Then there's a Frederick C White, aged 6 on the 1901 census, in St Pancras.

Of course, that would make him 20 not 19.

IPT / Anthony,

The Frederick C WHITE aged 6 in St Pancras on the 1901 Census is living at 237 Arlington Road. This was the north end of Arlington Street, but it's now under a modern development just to the S of Camden Market on the other side of the canal.

It is about 600m NNW of King's Terrace, which is the modern name for Little King Street, Camden Town, which is given as the address of Frederick's parents John and Alice WHITE by CWGC.

So geographically speaking this has to be a strong match.

The problem comes with the genealogy - this Frederick WHITE is the son of William J WHITE, a GPO letter sorter, and Anna M WHITE.

CWGC has the fallen man's parents as John and Alice WHITE.

I agree that their marriage is probably the John WHITE and Alice ASHMAN recorded in the Q2 1891 Pancras District register. Camden Town was in the Pancras Registration District. Alice appears to be Alice Maud ASHMAN whose birth is entered in the Marylebone District register in Q4 1870.

There's the remote possibility that the William J WHITE and Anna M WHITE of the 1901 Census were in fact the same people as John WHITE and Alice Maud WHITE (nee Ashman) who appear as Frederick's parents in CWGC, but that would mean the census taker got Alice/Anna's name wrong, which does seem unlikely.

More likely possibly is the error is in the CWGC records.

Either way I think you're going to need some further corroboration before you can be sure this is your man :huh:

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thank you very much indeed for your reply and for the information you have provided.

I can see why William J could be John- middle name perhaps- however, as you say, the Anna and Alice thing is what is throwing me at the moment. There are certainly too may coincidences for him not to be the chap i am looking for but there is a bit of a niggle.

I always seem to get the not so straight forward ones!!!

Thanks again