Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British War Medal

Llamafarmer

Whats the difference between the two colours of British War Medal. One is bronze and one is a silver colour.

silver.jpg

bronze.jpg

Some 6,500,000 British War Medals were issued in silver.

About 110,000 were issued in bronze mainly to Chinese, Indian, Maltese labour battalions - see Medal Year Book 2009 item 168 - page 170.

If my memory banks serve me correct the silver was issued to British, Canada, south Africa , Australian troops the natives was given the bronze . I hope I am correct I am sure some one will soon put me right if I am wrong

Dan

Thanks for showing the bronze medal, never seen one before, just a thought, perhaps if "ours" had been issued in anything other than silver many more would have survived the melting pot. Ralph.

Do be careful though - reproduction bronze BWMs have started to appear due to scarcity; most of the duff ones I've come across were to the Maltese Labour Corps but that will not necessarily remain the case.

Thanks for showing the bronze medal, never seen one before, just a thought, perhaps if "ours" had been issued in anything other than silver many more would have survived the melting pot. Ralph.

I have a couple of these bronze types, given me by my Dad a long time ago, when he was getting me started off.

Yes, I wonder how many of my broken trio's, (I have seven missing BWM's) would have their BWM in the middle if they had done them in bronze.

Good point Ralph.

DW

the natives was given the bronze .

If they were in labour corps as non-combatants. The Indian Army regiments received silver medals, plus the Victory Medal, and either Star if qualified.

Could it be that he was promoted to an officer before the end of the war and officers recieved the silver medal?

Alan

About 110,000 were issued in bronze mainly to Chinese, Indian, Maltese labour battalions - see Medal Year Book 2009 item 168 - page 170.

251,000 were produced in bronze, see Gordon's British Battles & Medals (Spink, London, 2006) 7th edition p 505. "All silver British War Medals for india were struck in Calcutta." Same page.

Could it be that he was promoted to an officer before the end of the war and, officers recieved the silver medal?

More likely because he was a member of the Indian Army! See Michael Jackson's post.

The Mercantile Marine War Medal was also issued in bronze.

And these were for Pop (a private) (medals and button, the SWB was my great uncle's as well)....both Royal Newfoundland Regiment

shawn

post-46808-1249766271.jpg

but you have the British War and Victory Medals suspended from the wrong ribbons.

Thank You. I was informed of this on another post and was also told the ribbons were fragile. They are in my aunt's closet in a cookie tin....they'll stay that way until I can get someone knowledgeable enough to change them. Some things are better left to experts. I wouldn't want to be the one to destroy a piece of history! By the way, does this mean both sets are wrong? This is the way they were mounted in the 20's when pop and his brother received them. (I guess the ribbons were separate from the medals when sent and they mistakenly mounted them in reverse?)

thanks,

shawn

More likely because he was a member of the Indian Army! See Michael Jackson's post.

I am not dead yet

Michael Johnson if you please.

All combatant members of the Indian Army received silver medals - it was not based on race.

Sorry for the slip and promoting you to full General before your time! UK Who's Who: JACKSON, Gen. Sir Michael David, (Sir Mike) GCB 2005 (KCB 1998; CB 1996); CBE 1992 (MBE 1979); DSO 1999

I agree with you that silver BW medals were issued to all combatant members of the Indian Army. An interesting thing that I've noted is that the usual issue figures I've seen quoted for the BWM are those for those issued by Woolwich, and do not include those issued from Calcutta.

By the way, does this mean both sets are wrong? This is the way they were mounted in the 20's when pop and his brother received them. (I guess the ribbons were separate from the medals when sent and they mistakenly mounted them in reverse?)

Yes both sets/ groups of medals are wrong. The ribbons and the medals were separate when sent so theses are not the first to be the wrong way round.

Thank You. I was informed of this on another post and was also told the ribbons were fragile. They are in my aunt's closet in a cookie tin....they'll stay that way until I can get someone knowledgeable enough to change them. Some things are better left to experts. I wouldn't want to be the one to destroy a piece of history!

They're more robust than you'd think, have no fear, unless they've been exposed to a lot of sunlight (which does not appear to be the case here) - you won't 'destroy' them. In fact, the Victory Medal ribbon is too wide for the British War Medal suspender. The only action which may be needed when removing the BWM ribbon from the Victory Medal would be gentle light ironing with a cool iron (set to silk if possible) on the reverse side, i.e. the one which faces inwards to allow the ribbon to sit properly flat in the BWM suspender.

The only action which may be needed when removing the BWM ribbon from the Victory Medal would be gentle light ironing with a cool iron (set to silk if possible) on the reverse side, i.e. the one which faces inwards to allow the ribbon to sit properly flat in the BWM suspender.

Thabk You for this information. Is there a certain length to show for the ribbons or are they merely pinned when folded in half?

shawn

p.s. Sorry to Llamafarmer for straying from the original topic but if I don't ask now I will forget.

The ribbons are often found on the wrong medals, as it was easier to get the wider Victory ribbon through the bar suspender on the BWM, and easier to get the narrower BWM ribbon through the ring on the Victory.

• 2 years later...