Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Best source of copy medals?

fotonix

I apologise if this has already been asked, but can anyone give an opinion on the best source of WW1 copy medals (I fully understand official replacements cannot be issued) in the UK? I was not particularly impressed with the quality of the Award Productions National Service medal, or their engraving error (readily replaced) when I bought one for my father last year, although they seem to be the easiest company to deal with.

Thanks,

J.

I apologise if this has already been asked, but can anyone give an opinion on the best source of WW1 copy medals (I fully understand official replacements cannot be issued) in the UK? I was not particularly impressed with the quality of the Award Productions National Service medal, or their engraving error (readily replaced) when I bought one for my father last year, although they seem to be the easiest company to deal with.

Thanks,

J.

There are many on ebay.

You have the choice of original erased, which we all abhore, though they are the real thing. But vandalised.

Try and avoid the cheap tacky glittery new ones, they look awful.

You could buy individual singles to mount, all named and untainted.

Dick

Worcestershire Medals have an online site. They are of good repute and do decent copies. You can order online. I am not a shareholder but a very satisfied customer 6 times over.

There are many on ebay.

You have the choice of original erased, which we all abhore, though they are the real thing. But vandalised.

Try and avoid the cheap tacky glittery new ones, they look awful.

You could buy individual singles to mount, all named and untainted.

Dick

Thanks Dick,

Not sure how I get original singles that are named? Care to elaborate?

Dull as an old medal, me!

J.

Well, what I mean is buy original singles to different people units which are not so expensive. No-one can see the stampings.

These new ones just do not look right, all spangly, glittery, tacky looking. Then when you have the engraving(not stamped like originals) the cost goes up and anyone worth their salt can see they are not the real thing.

Dick

There was a lad at work who wanted to find out about his family in WW1. I helped him do a bit of research and at the end of it all he wanted representative medals that were earned by his Gr Grandad.

When I showed him the tacky glittery ones, and the original ones I have in my collection, he plumped for the original ones. So, I bought him a set of inexpensive originals. A 1915 Star to Royal Navy, BWM to ASC, VM to RAF, India GSM to an Indian unit that had no bids. Mounted for wear with his WW2 entitlement, a set of photographs and a run down of his military career in a caption box. All looked stunning.

Dick

There was a lad at work who wanted to find out about his family in WW1. I helped him do a bit of research and at the end of it all he wanted representative medals that were earned by his Gr Grandad.

When I showed him the tacky glittery ones, and the original ones I have in my collection, he plumped for the original ones. So, I bought him a set of inexpensive originals. A 1915 Star to Royal Navy, BWM to ASC, VM to RAF, India GSM to an Indian unit that had no bids. Mounted for wear with his WW2 entitlement, a set of photographs and a run down of his military career in a caption box. All looked stunning.

Dick

I take it you include Worcester Medals products as tacky, glittery etc?

I take it you include Worcester Medals products as tacky, glittery etc?

I can't say that I have come accross any supplied by them.

It is, of course, a matter of taste. Most new kit does look a tad too 'blingy' for me.

DW

I can vouch for Worcester Medals... not that blingy just new looking, certainly not as glittery as the majority on ebay

I can vouch for Worcester Medals... not that blingy just new looking, certainly not as glittery as the majority on ebay

I had a quick look at the Worc site, I think the Royal bit on the top left corner says it all. They don't look at all blingy and the prices are quite reasonable.

Some of them on ebay look like the bits of silver paper off a Kitkat. Awful.

Cheers for that.

Point taken Grumps :blush:

I may have to take them up on an MM for a broken trio I have.

DW

I concur with Worcestershire Medals Service (full name) - I've been using them since they were the equivalent of an American 'mom and pop' outfit, way before Royal Warrants et. al. and service has always been outstanding. Occasionally the website can be a pain to complete an order, but they are courtesy personified on the phone.

Another source is the Bigbury Mint, but if I remember correctly their reproduction medals are in some cases more expensive [EDIT: E.g. a BWM is £30 from Bigbury, £25 from WMS - but a Mercantile Marine Medal from Bigbury is £30, £60 from WMS].

No commercial interest, but I know my preference - and I would never ever condone promoting a trade in erased medals!