Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAF aeroplanes-are they WW1 vintage or later?

espiegle

This is a photo of a flight of aeroplanes -definitely post RAF creation as I can see RAF written on the fuel truck at the back, but are they World War One or slightly later?

What type of planes are they? Also there is a large bomber type at the back of the photo, what might that be?

Thank you

Andrew

post-3164-1249508935.jpg

Andrew

The aircraft in the foreground are Westland Wapitis, which entered RAF service in the late 1920s to replace the DH 9A. I don't know about the machine in the background - my guess is a Vickers Virginia.

I hope that this helps you.

Gareth

As well as replacing the Dh 9a the Wapiti also used many of its components. These are I think Wapiti II General purpose aircraft and a mainstay of the RAF in India and Iraq. The bomber does look like a Virginia (with those engines a Virginia VII) however AFAIK all Virginias were based in Britain. The photo is a bit pixilated and it could just possibly be a Hindustani (but again, despite the name, I think this stayed at home as well). Any chance of a clearer photo?

Edit correction Hinaidi not Hindustani - but see next post

I believe the bomber is the HP Hinaidi, the prototype of which was purchased by the Indian Government modified and used in a number of roles as a quasi civilian aircraft. One role was the evacuation of British Civilians from Kabul during an insurrection in 1929 - some 8 flights being carried out. It was also used to ferry the Secretary of State for Air around RAF stations on a visit to India in, I believe, 1929.

Gareth,

I spotted that but the general outline looked a pic of the O/400, and thought, maybe they re-engined the beast

you never know. Will have to go thru some more books.

Edit : Will go along with Centurion as HP Hinaidi. There is a good article and photo in Wiki (Where else ?)

Hi

The serial number of the aircraft nearest the camera is J9743. (A readable serial number in an old photo – does this not break the Official Secrets Act?) According to the ukserials.com site this belonged to batch from J9725 to J9759 of Wapiti IIV aircraft. As far as I know there was a Wapiti II, a Wapiti IIA and a Wapiti V, but not a Wapiti IIV. Whether this means that this was a mixed batch of II and V versions, or it is a misprint for one mark or the other I do not know. The difference between the IIA and V was that the Wapiti V had a 2 foot longer fuselage.

The bomber type is certainly one of the Handley Page Hinaidi family; the way the nose curves down to the front gun position is quite distinctive. However, it appears to have a row of airliner type windows down the fuselage, I think this could very well be the Handley Page Clive. According to Wikipedia, 3 aircraft were built as Clives and they operated out of Lahore, and another 20+ Hinaidis were converted to Clives, and these were operated on the North West Frontier.

Regards

Bob

Hi

The serial number of the aircraft nearest the camera is J9743. (A readable serial number in an old photo – does this not break the Official Secrets Act?) According to the ukserials.com site this belonged to batch from J9725 to J9759 of Wapiti IIV aircraft. As far as I know there was a Wapiti II, a Wapiti IIA and a Wapiti V, but not a Wapiti IIV. Whether this means that this was a mixed batch of II and V versions, or it is a misprint for one mark or the other I do not know. The difference between the IIA and V was that the Wapiti V had a 2 foot longer fuselage.

The bomber type is certainly one of the Handley Page Hinaidi family; the way the nose curves down to the front gun position is quite distinctive. However, it appears to have a row of airliner type windows down the fuselage, I think this could very well be the Handley Page Clive. According to Wikipedia, 3 aircraft were built as Clives and they operated out of Lahore, and another 20+ Hinaidis were converted to Clives, and these were operated on the North West Frontier.

The converted Hinaidi prototype I mentioned had windows and may well have acted as the prototype of the Clive. The Clive had a different nose from the Hinaidi and a slightly different arrangement of windows to the aircraft in the photo. Given the situation I would still plump for it being the Indian Governments civilianised Hinaidi at an RAF base during the Secretary of State's tour of RAF bases

I have cropped out the rest of the photo to try and show the bomber type at the back,

Regards

Andrew

post-3164-1249583495.jpg

Gareth

Thank you for the id on the aircraft. The photo belonged to a pilot by the name of T H Downes who joined the RAF in the mid 20's, but then transferred to the Army in the late 30's and ended up as a Lt Colonel in Indian Army service Corps.

Regards

Andrew