Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Somerset Regiments in India

cags

Hi, does anyone have any information on Somerset Regiments in India and Afghanistan in WW1? My Grandad was in this area (Kyber Pass) during the Great War and I think he was part of the Medical Corp (stretcher bearer??). Unfortunately, I don't have a regiment or service number for him. He lived in Somerset up until 1914. Any information on this would be good. Many Thanks.

Cags

The 2nd. Battalion Somerset Light Infantry served on the NWF and in the Third Afghan War of 1919.

If you care to send me a PM via the Forum facility with you e-address I can send you the relevant chapetr of the Regimental History and some photos of the locations where the battalion were.

Dave

Cags

Just click on my user name - top left of my post - and select 'send message' and you will get the template. Once sent this will go to my message box and the forum will automatically send me an e-mail telling me its there.

:D

Dave

Don't forget also that the Territorial battalions of the Somerset Light Infantry went to India in 1914, as part of the 1st and 2nd Wessex Divisions. If your chap was living in Somerset in 1914, it might be quite possible he was a territorial.

Hi Dave, I've found out that the reason I can't use the PM function is because I need to have posted 10 times or more - so nearly there - I think this is posting number 9!

Cags

Can you post your grandfather name?

Dave

His name was John William Young (because there are so many Youngs I've found it difficult to trace him - I don't have a lot to go on!)

Ten! :lol:

Don't forget also that the Territorial battalions of the Somerset Light Infantry went to India in 1914, as part of the 1st and 2nd Wessex Divisions. If your chap was living in Somerset in 1914, it might be quite possible he was a territorial.

Cags,

If your interested in a good account of the times it would be worth your while tracking down a copy of "A strange War, Burma, India & Afghanistan 1914-1919" by C P Mills. It was first published in 1988 and may not be easy to find, but is a very good book with plenty of photo's. It deals with the 2/5th Somerset Light Infantry, Territorials who spent the war there.

Based on a Quarter Master Sergeants diary and interviews with another old soldier who was with the Somerset's and then transferred to the fledgling Indian Army Mechanical Transport Company. Lots of photo's of old trucks on the frontier. Great stuff.

Hope that is of some help,

Scott.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Caroline,

attached is a photo of William John Young, 202381 Private, 2/4th Battalion, The Wiltshire Regiment.

He was born in Winford, Somerset in 1886.

At the beginning of August 1914, the 4th Battalion was in camp at Bulford on Salisbury Plain. The battalion went to India as part of the 43rd (wessex) infantry division, where they relieved regular Army battalions. The 2nd/4th spent the remainder of the war in India at Delhi where for nearly two and a half years they acted as Garrison to the seat of governmaent and guard to the Viceroy. Sadly no war diary was kept.

I have some more photos of him if you'd like me to send them. (I did notice on his wifes death certificate that he was known as John not William)

Hope this helps,

Barry

post-42404-1251024020.jpg

Just wanted to add that I noticed cags had aksed questions about Gilbert Marshall Bartlett, who is the aboves brother in law. So I'm pretty sure I've got the right person. W.J.Young is also my great-gran father (how freaky is that!)

Just wanted to clear that up before anyone thought I was a master of research lol.

I've sent cags a pm, so hope to catch up soon.

Ta,

Barry

• 2 weeks later...

Hi gents,

If you haven't already come across it, try to get holfd of a copy of 'Engaged in War; The Letters of Stanley Goodland, 1914-1919'.

Although Goodland was an officer in the 5th, rather than 4th, Somersets his comments and insights regarding Territorial recruitment in Somerset in the late summer and early Autumn of 1914 might be of interest; I'm sure the letters relating to service in India and beyond with the regiment would likewise be informative.

Best wishes with your research,

Andy

Thanks Andy,

will need to do a bit more research and look at all this information. Thanks for your information.

Regards,

Caroline

Hi gents,

If you haven't already come across it, try to get holfd of a copy of 'Engaged in War; The Letters of Stanley Goodland, 1914-1919'.

Although Goodland was an officer in the 5th, rather than 4th, Somersets his comments and insights regarding Territorial recruitment in Somerset in the late summer and early Autumn of 1914 might be of interest; I'm sure the letters relating to service in India and beyond with the regiment would likewise be informative.

Best wishes with your research,

Andy

Caroline,

First of all..aplogies for adressing my last post 'Gents'..remarkably daft of me!

Goodland's book is available rather inexpensively from a number of sellers, just google the title. Apart from being a good read, it is also quite instructive of the manner in which Territorial battalions of Westcountry regiments sent drafts throughout the War from India to their sister units fighting elsewhere in the Middle East

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andy,

apologies for not getting back sooner - just back from a holiday! No probs about the "Gents" comment.

Thanks for the info on the book - I'll get a copy. I heard my Granddad was a stretcher bearer in Afghanistan area at some point in the first world war. Hopefully this will shed some light on this.

Best wishes

Caroline

Caroline,

First of all..aplogies for adressing my last post 'Gents'..remarkably daft of me!

Goodland's book is available rather inexpensively from a number of sellers, just google the title. Apart from being a good read, it is also quite instructive of the manner in which Territorial battalions of Westcountry regiments sent drafts throughout the War from India to their sister units fighting elsewhere in the Middle East

Andy

• 2 months later...

I have a copy of the Somerset book mentioned earlier. If you need anything specifc drop me a PM

John

• 5 months later...

Hi All,

I am trying to find out more about my great grandfather James Edgar Smith, Somerset Light Infantry 1/4 Battalion, #3713 & #201393 on his medal card for the Indian General Service 1908 Medal with Clasp Afghanistan North-West Frontier 1919. He is Somerset Light Infantry 1/4 Battalion att. 17 Spl Bn.

What is the Somerset Light Infantry 1/4 Battalion att. 17 Spl Bn. ?

I think the Somerset Light Infantry 1/4 Battalion was a Territorial battalion, but as for the att. 17 Spl Bn. I have no idea.

Please Help,

Many Thanks,

Lee.

Lee,

Another good book on the SLI is entitled 'The Somerset Light Infantry 1914-1919 by Everard Wyrall. It was witten in 1927 and no doubt reprinted

many times. It is redily available in the UK, had my copy in Australia within a week of order (through the forum). There is quite a bit on the activities of

1/4 SLI in it, apparently they spent most of the war in India and the Middle East.

Yes 1/4 was a Territorial battalion, can't find any mention of 17 Spl Bn (probably Special Battalion), but I also see mention of men being detatched from time

to time for special assignments.

David

I am currently researching the 70 names on the Langford Budville (near Wellington, Som) Roll of Honour (men who served as well as the six deaths). They all have some kind of unit attribution except the last name - John Young. I cannot even find a census clue!

Alan,

Ancestry's take on the SDGW shows 3 John Young (albeit the second christian name) belonging to the Somerset LI. Could any of these be your man ?

Incidentally L Budville is a delightful village - quaffed many a pint in the pub there - had a mate who lived close by.

David

Hi All,

I am trying to find out more about my great grandfather James Edgar Smith, Somerset Light Infantry 1/4 Battalion, #3713 & #201393 on his medal card for the Indian General Service 1908 Medal with Clasp Afghanistan North-West Frontier 1919. He is Somerset Light Infantry 1/4 Battalion att. 17 Spl Bn.

What is the Somerset Light Infantry 1/4 Battalion att. 17 Spl Bn. ?

I think the Somerset Light Infantry 1/4 Battalion was a Territorial battalion, but as for the att. 17 Spl Bn. I have no idea

I'm not too clear about your post; are you saying that He's Som LI attd 17 Spl Bn on his WW1 MIC? And does this text apply to the issue of his WW1 campaign medals AND his IGS?

Any chance of posting a picture of the MIC? Old handwriting can be a bit difficult to decipher at times. I'm not convinced by 'Special Battalion' explanation.