Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Adrienne helmet - original colour?

geraint

I recently bought a dilapidated Adrienne helmet in a vide-grennier in france. Lining's gone, the iron casque's rusty; but from close inspection the original paint where it remains is a pea green in colour. It's not a repaint job. As far as I can see there are no layers of paint; and no trace of a blue tint at all. The little traces that remain appear to be green. Did the French have various hues for various units? Did they use green? Unfortunately the front insignia is missing, and I can't even attempt to locate it to an unit.

I'm away with work as of tomorrow, and apologise for not getting back to you 'till September.

Geraint

Geraint, nothing to do with your query really but is it Adrian (after Louis Adrian, its producer, I understand, and the originator of the Adrian hut, soon to be the subject of a post) or Adrienne, a charming symbol of France?

Ian

PS If you are away till September, presumably there is no huge rush for a 'Sniggery Camp' photo (see my other post of five minutes ago.

Ian!

Too much vino! My spelllllungs' gonne cymplytly! Adrian!

Any suggestions on colour? Sniggery can wait :D

Is there a seam around the bowl? Green makes me think it may be an Italian Adrian. The early Italian Adrian helmets were actually repainted French helmets with the emblem slots. Later the slots were deleted and the final Italian version was seamless other than the comb. Not aware of any French green helmets. They are generally a couple of shades of blue (early or late war) or the mustard color for Colonial Troops, etc.

- Best Regards! Mike

Mike

Thanks for that. It was bought in a rural part of the Limousine and the seller said that it was bought as a houseclearance lot locally. It's 100% French. No seam to be seen. The ridge-piece is aluminium, though the casque itself's iron.

How many countries wore the Adrian helmet? Thousands of these helmets were sold off post war to quasi-military oganisations and the likes they even made it into the fire service. Olive green/khaki was used and some were camouflaged but I imagine these were only in small numbers.

Jon

Hello Geraint -

All of the French WW1 helmets did have the seam. During the WW1 period, only the Italians did not have a seam. However, the French M26 (1926) Model did not have the seam. A photo would really help.

Here is a pic of some of my collection with French, Czech and Italian. Left to right, French Infantry, French Moroccan (mustard), Czech Legion (WW2 repaint), Italian with slots plugged, Italian one piece, Italian without slots. Post war black Fascist repaint. Sorry, but the photo was mainly for the body armour. They were used around the world. I have a Mexican Cavalry version that was used right up into the 40s.

- Best regards! Mike

• 3 weeks later...
......... Sorry, but the photo was mainly for the body armour. They were used around the world. I have a Mexican Cavalry version that was used right up into the 40s........

- Best regards! Mike

What is this armour? I assume it to be steel plates linked with metal clips. The coverage appears limited on the upper body. Was there a back to it?

My first thought on reading the comb is aluminium was the M26 Adrian.

Can you make out the shape of the missing insignia? I think from around 1937 the round helmet badge was in use. This site shows the M26 helmet with aluminium comb and pre and post 1937 insignia.

Tony

• 3 weeks later...