Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 German general

Robert Dunlop

This is the wildest of wild stabs in the dark but could it be the ex Kaiser meeting German troops in Holland 1940?

Roger.

Robert

I'd have a small wager on it being General Erich von Ludendorff (1865 - 1937). I have in front of me a picture of von Ludendorff and von Hindenburg, taken in Spa in 1918 and it looks to me like it's yer man.

Stephen

Hm, I'm not sure about Ludendorff... I'm thinking about a cavalry general. Look at the spurs on his shoes...

Jan

Hm, I'm not sure about Ludendorff... I'm thinking about a cavalry general. Look at the spurs on his shoes...

Jan

Have a look at the boys in the background - all are wearing spurs on their boots . Like the British Officer of the period to WWII - boots, riding breeches and spurs were not the provence of the mounted corps because all officers were expected to ride.

I too think it is quite possible that it is Ludendorff - he lived until 1937 and was involved in two Putsch (Kapp Putsch in 1920 and the Nazi "Beer Hall" Putsch of 1923). He served in the Weimar Republic as a Nazi Deputy and stood at one stage as their candidate for the Presidency (against his wartime leader Hindeburg).

He was not over tall in stature as far as I can remember though he later (pre-WWI) filled out and bulked up it is not inconceivable that in later life he again lost weight/height.

Edward